In laws!grrrr

I dont like my brother in law he is a creep, (tries to peep at me in the shower by picking the lock. Looking up stairs while Im changing)and an ass (farts so loudly no matter who is around to be caught in a nuclear blast of his gas. And MIL is letting us live with her. Which is amazing, considering were in school and have no money for housing. (job hunts every week and yet nothing) however just when I was starting to trust her again around my little Misha (15mo) I drop her off in the kitchen after her bath tonight and talk to MIL for a little bit then leave the room to get my glasses I come back AND SHE IS SMOKING!

Not only in the same friggen room as my little one BUT NOT EVEN A FOOT AWAY! WTF!? This is seriously pissing me the fuck off. When I cought her she kind of rolled her eyes and put it out. I grabbed Misha and sliently walked to the living room. She walked pass me to go the the bathroom and huffed! Excuse me bitch? YOUR pissed at ME?

Now Im not a smoke hater or anything but come on. Everyone knows its terrible for a baby! Not to mention I HAVE TOLD HER about the cases of chronic asthma and bronchitis I had when I was around smoke. I just dont know what to do we have no place to go and I feel that MIL is trying to steal my daughter from me. I know it sounds crazy but its gone from baby sitting every other weekend if needed. To MIL calling herself "mommy" I know she has raised kids before..and maybe its an old habit..to still.. it hurts when Misha seems more excited to see her than me some days.

Nerdymama

Asked by Nerdymama at 10:56 PM on May. 14, 2011 in Relationships

• I would never condone smoking around kids, but you are living in her house. If someone were living in my home I would not want to change my lifestyle to suit them.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:01 PM on May. 14, 2011

• I understand that. I feel like I'm stuck =(
    Nerdymama

Comment by Nerdymama (original poster) at 11:22 PM on May. 14, 2011

• Maybe you cannot change her smoking in the house but i would tell her to stop calling herself Mommy! Tell her that this is your child and you are uncomfortable with it and there is no need for her to confuse your dd. You have to follow her rules in her house but when dealing with YOUR dd she has to follow your rules.
    coolassmom87

Answer by coolassmom87 at 11:28 PM on May. 14, 2011

• I would look into daycare programs that have something for low income families. Sounds like you guys need to find work asap and get OUT! I would tell her stop teaching her grand daughter to call her mommy too! My mom is a new grandma and never has done that.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 11:35 PM on May. 14, 2011

• My Dh and DS and I had to do an emergency move from TX back in NOV. we lived in MI and then moved to TX bc my DH dad was there and he went to work w him. Well things were going well until our son was born, then my FIL was making our life hell. Well his GF was. We were renting her dads olf house and so theres my drift. Anyway, our DS was born in Ap. and we were married in OH in July, when we went back to TX our life was worse, bc the day after our wedding, his dad loves to create drama w the help of his gf none of the fam. cares for, but they never come to OH so we ifnore them vice versa... just too much drama.., so we went back to TX after being in OH for a week and my grandfather(moms dad) died 2 weeks later, and a month after my grandmother(dads mom) passed awat and the day after my dad who had gotten hom from IRaq the day before DS was born, was diagnosed with lung cancer stge4. He passed away 4 mo. later in Jan. We lived
    kgrine

Answer by kgrine at 11:56 AM on May. 15, 2011

• we lived with my mom until may, and we had to get out, she was driing us nuts about finding a house, easier said than done in this area.. and my DH was trying tofind a job, he eventualy went back to his old job wiht a big paycut and no insurance and i am a sahm.. so we ended up moving in w my MIL and they smoke inside and they speak alot differently than i do, and im not bashing them, but they as in my mil has raised her other 4 gk bc their mothers are druggies and more interested in their lowlife lifes, and i dont want that, i want something better, i do understand your struggle with inlaws and doing things your way. my mil moved out of her house so her druggie daughter could live there and her other lives right next door two trailors on a lot, so they moved to a modular a few miels away and we stay with them and they smoke but only in two rooms, which e never go in...
    kgrine

Answer by kgrine at 12:01 PM on May. 15, 2011

• But its still alot of work and things are bound to get better once we get up on our feet and in our own place. Things cant possibly stay so crappy for soo long. Good Luck!!
    kgrine

Answer by kgrine at 12:04 PM on May. 15, 2011

• No smoking around kids
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 2:33 PM on May. 15, 2011

• No smoking around my kids ever!
    PatriciaofMN

Answer by PatriciaofMN at 4:45 PM on May. 15, 2011