My dental concern rant

it's an epidemic on here of people not taking their kids to the dentist til they're 3, 4, 5, 6+ years old. The reason I've read the MOST is the Mom doesn't see anything visibly wrong with the teeth so why both. I am curious how the logic comes to be? If you can see a black spot, a rotting hole, or whatever it is you are visibly looking for, don't you think it's probably too late for the tooth to be saved? Dental care is a preventative thing, isn't it? Not an emergency medicine situation? ... then there's Moms on here asking for prayers, advice, etc on their 3, 4, 5, 6 year old going into the oral surgeon next week for caps, root canals, extractions, etc. How is it we're all on this same website but people aren't learning from each other??!!

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 11:03 PM on May. 14, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I used to work in a dental office, and I have seen some really bad mouths. In fact my youngest niece had a boatload of dental issues-- her mom fed her candy and crap, did not brush the teeth and refused to take her for checkups/cleanings.. She did not take her until there was rampant decay, and my niece was in pain and by then there was a lot of work that had to be done. A lot of it could have been prevented by regular dental checkups and taking care of the cavities when they were small, and not wait until the child is screaming in pain. Then people wonder why kids are so scared of the dentist.. My youngest niece had 4 crowns by the time she was 3, and she was so traumatized she would freak out if you even said the word 'dentist' near her.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:41 PM on May. 14, 2011

• I don't know about other moms but right now my kids are on medical assistance. They will not see them at the one health clinic that takes that insurance until they are three years old for dental work. They will see them before that if it is an emergency. Before we were on medical assistance and had regular insurance our dentist said to bring the kids in at 3 and hopefully have them comfortable in the chair at 3 1/2, 4 years old. Their pediatrician also told me not to worry about the dentist until they were three. I think that children having that severe of dental problems at that young of age must have other issues as well.
    Anonymous

• I really don't see a problem with age 3 or 4. I wouldn't want to push it older than that, but that's just me. I took both my kids around 18 months to 2 yrs old. Maybe they don't have dental insurance, or access to a good pediatric dentist that is good with young toddlers. And some just don't know the recommended age or would rather wait until they are old enough to not freak out. Then again, some adults never went to the dentist as kids, or didn't go often so the figure as long as they are practicing good home care its not necessary. My school district recently implemented dental checkups prior to enrollment into kindergarten. You use to just have a physical, shots and vision check. Now the dental exam is part of the enrollment requirements. I think its a good idea.
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 11:51 PM on May. 14, 2011

• I think it all insurance issues. My FIL is our dentist and I think if he wasn't we wouldn't go as often. I think we are very lucky that he does that for a living so our kids can reap the benefits.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 12:44 AM on May. 15, 2011

• Good question. I definitely agree with you that it is a preventative thing, and I am not one to let money come in the way of health care. I am up front, if I have no insurance, I call around and try to find somewhere, a clinic or a dentist that will work with me. But I am compulsive about brushing and flossing! At least if you don't go to the dentist, brush and floss your kid's teeth! It is sad that people don't realize how important dental health is! When it could have been prevented in the first place!
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 12:48 PM on May. 15, 2011

• and i asked them - am i abusing to brush like that? or what do they think of it? they said "do whatever you need to get them brushed" they supported me sitting on him (no not my full weight) and making him do it even though it was a pain in the a**. they also want a parent brushing for the child at night until they can correctly write in cursive... to be sure before bed all teeth are clean - kids are asked to brush themselves in the morning.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:47 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Unfortunately there is a lot of reasons for this. When I was growing up I NEVER went to the dentist til I was 15 when I broke a tooth! That being said, insurance is a big part of it. And there is conflicting info as well. I was told to wait til he was 2. Where I go says as soon as he has teeth ( 4 1/2 months for DS) above poster says 3.. :(
    mrsmommy2007

Answer by mrsmommy2007 at 12:36 AM on May. 15, 2011

• because they are expensive and they want all the money up front and co pays are expensive sometimes and ppl just don't have money for it and yet the dental place complains and gripes that you have'nt cometo the dentist well my god lower your damn prices and ppl will come!
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 10:31 AM on May. 15, 2011

• I guess for some its a money /insurance thing. I also know alot of dentist dont take kids till they are 3, as they seldomly sit still with their mouth open for any sort of cleaning or check up at 6months or a year... I took mine at 3, both kids I brushed their teeth since they had them, (not letting them do it all themselves, I brushed then they would but i did the work) they both eat the same, healthy stuff, yet DS had to have a couple cavities filled. He has big grooves in his molars, that even brushing didnt clean well. DD did not, she had nothng wrong with hers at all, they even said they were very clean!.I switched dentists as the pediatric one I started with ( thinking she would be good with kids,) was a total hag. She asked me infront of a bunch of people " what, does he eat candy all day or what? What are you feeding this kid, cause he has way different teeth than his sister" I was pissed! ANY food can cause a cavity.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 12:35 PM on May. 15, 2011

• GOOD question! I see it as a PREVENTION issue! You start brushing your babies' teeth and do it everyday so that they do not have cavities. Then by the time they have their first visit to the Dentist, they will not have expensive and painful Dental work to be done. Its that simple. I am just appalled at the number of Moms who NEVER think of brushing their little kids' teeth. To me that is child neglect. Pediatricians explain how to start cleaning teeth as soon as they come in at six months or whenever. There are litte soft bristle brushes for tiny mouths.
    Prevention!
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 12:05 AM on May. 16, 2011