Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

child support how does it work??

if the father files for it does it benefit him?? like say the baby is born there is a paternity check and if it is his ,that mans can he file for child support right away??or how does it work??

Answer Question

Asked by apple-bee-13 at 2:14 AM on Dec. 6, 2008 in Relationships

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • The child support is usually for the person who has the child in their custody.

    Is the mother going to give custody to the father after the child is born?


    Answer by virginiamama71 at 2:19 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

  • Either parent can file for child support through a state agency - the custodial parent does not have to file for child support. It doesn't matter who files, though, because states use the same calculation process either way. So if the father or mother files first, the amount of child support would be the same (at least it should be, but the error rate with state child support agencies is VERY high, and often the error is in favor of the parent receiving child support). It would be wise for the non-custodial parent to file for child support as that means they don't have to wonder if the custodial parent will file or not, and if they file if the child support agency will back rate the child support resulting in immediate arrears. Plus paying through the state is often easier as they just garnish their paycheck.

    Answer by melamommy24 at 2:22 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

  • I am not sure I totally understand your question? Where do you live? Are you saying the baby is born somewhere else besides where you reside? It doesn't matter who files for a divorce, child support is dependent upon a persons income. Normally whoever makes more pays. There are always exceptions to the rule of course. Also, for the child's sake usually the mother gets more time and the father gets the standard weekends and one day during the week. At least here in Cali...

    Answer by Cindrella72 at 2:22 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

  • If you have custody you can file for it, If he has custody he can file for it, and even if you have custody he can file to "establish" it, in other words (get it on paper). Your question really isn't that clear.

    Answer by Gigi1969 at 3:30 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Relationships
What do I do my bf left me?

Next question overall (Shopping)
The cheaper toy?