How do u get your baby to pay attention when u try to read to her?

I heard reading is good for your baby,but mine doesnt really pay attention,she tries to grab the book and turn the page and all that.

SparkleAndCandy

Asked by SparkleAndCandy at 11:06 PM on May. 14, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• that would be developmentally normal - a baby isn't gonna sit and quietly listen to a story - they should be trying to turn the pages
    nurse_maya

Answer by nurse_maya at 11:08 PM on May. 14, 2011

• Your baby is perfectly normal and she should be grabbing the book, probably trying to eat it. Keep reading to her and she will grow to love books! I have a 6 year old and 8 month old. We read together and they both enjoy it in their own way.
    Lola.Bee

Answer by Lola.Bee at 11:09 PM on May. 14, 2011

• Start with simple board books. Not so much a story. Babys first animals is a great one. You read the few words and point to pictures and say Lok at the cow..or whatever. Then say what a cow says..moooo. Or look at the red ball. This is how you begin teaching children and it is just fun for them.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:09 PM on May. 14, 2011

• Thank u for yalls help :) Yeah I dont do long books,well I have a couple times,lol....But yeah at first she sat and looked at the pictures. Lol
    SparkleAndCandy

Comment by SparkleAndCandy (original poster) at 11:12 PM on May. 14, 2011

• I had this problem with mine but now I try to let my little boy take part in story time. I have the books with the flaps you lift to see whats underneath. His favorite is "Where Is My Belly Button". When I read it to him I ask him to show me where everything is (eyes, mouth, hands, feet) and he will sit with me and help me lift the flaps.
    LeslieNBreaux

Answer by LeslieNBreaux at 11:19 PM on May. 14, 2011

• Keep it short and simple, and make it involving--point to pictures, label things she sees, don't just read the words. And don't get too caught up in "shoulds". If she wants to turn the page, let her, and just roll with the flow.

And if all else fails, just read out loud while she's in the room. Just hearing the language helps a lot. And the best part of this method is that you get to read what you want. ;) I did this a lot with my first, and it hasn't hurt him at all--he's 4 now and loves books and being read to. The biggest influence when it comes to kids wanting to read is mom's and dad's interest in books. Let her see you enjoying it, and she will, too. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:23 PM on May. 14, 2011

• Thxx yall :) :) :)
    SparkleAndCandy

Comment by SparkleAndCandy (original poster) at 11:26 PM on May. 14, 2011

• Books where they can do something are great at that age - lift a flap, texture books, etc. because it is hard for them to sit still. That said, it is good for her to hear you read even if she is doing something else.

Answer by missanc at 8:15 AM on May. 15, 2011

• I had the same problem. Give her a different book so she thinks she is doing something important too. My daughter eventually put her book down to listen to me. I also try to include her in the story. The book I am currently reading has a 4 line song every other page so I kiss her after every time the song is read. I will also have her point things out. Where's the kitty? Hope this helps.

~Syl~
    F43L34

Answer by F43L34 at 4:26 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I just came across a really fun book called Press Here by Herve Tullet. It starts with one dot, and you push the dot and turn the page, and another dot appears. Push again, and a third dot appears. Rub one, and it turns red. Rub another, and it turns blue. Tap them and they mulitply. Shake the book, and they disperse. Tilt the book, and they "roll" to the edges. Etc. Great fun for toddlers, and gets them very involved. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:58 PM on May. 19, 2011