Did you make a birth plan?

When you had your child did you create a birth plan? If so, what did it include and did it make things easier?

Momincollege23

Asked by Momincollege23 at 11:32 PM on May. 14, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I think they are VERY important!
    Not necessarily to convey preferences and advocate IN labor, but also as a self-study/preparation tool.
    They really help moms to uncover their options.

Let's just say, I wouldn't birth in a hospital without one, anyway!
    (or a birth doula)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:39 PM on May. 14, 2011

• Yes and I LOVED it. I will absolutely do one again.

I including things like that I would be eating and drinking during labor, not getting pain meds, only having occational monitoring, limited vaginal checks, the baby would be placed on my stomach, dad would cut the cord after it stopped pulsating, etc.

It was really helped me because when I was munching on a granola bar during labor I did not have nurses questioning me because I had already explained in my birthing plan that I would be eating. They did not ask me if I wanted pain meds, the did not bother me with trying to monitor me constantly...just did it once an hour like I asked, and followed all of my other preferances.

When there was a shift change my choices were right there in black and white so there was no questioning me when I needed quiet.

A LOT of people say not to bother because things can change but I think that is ridiculous.
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 11:41 PM on May. 14, 2011

• I had a checklist that I printed off the web. It did help in discussing what I wanted with the nurse-- like no pressure to take medications and no pressure to make the pregnancy progress with pitocin. I did end up getting pitocin because I had been in labor for 14 hours without really progressing, so the pitocin helped to dilate me further. I also ended up with an epidural since I was exhausted, and it allowed me to get some sleep for the next stage. Both were something I requested rather than having been pressured into doing it. It also helped spur questions to pose to my doctor before the delivery.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 11:42 PM on May. 14, 2011

• I never thought about it. Good idea though...
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 11:44 PM on May. 14, 2011

• OF COURSE THINGS CHANGE....but things can also be QUICKLY taken out of YOUR hands and it is important to make it clear how you want things handled.

Not to mention if you make choices that will reduce your chance of things going wrong then things are less likely to NOT go the way you want them to.

If you let the medical staff decide everything you will likely have regrets. I know I did with my first baby.
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 11:45 PM on May. 14, 2011

• I had one that I filled out and printed off of some website. There are TONS of online birthplans, some that just ask questions and then create the final draft for you, and others where you fill in blanks. I would definitely do it again! Mine included my preferences for pain medication, episiotomy, whether or not I wanted to use the bathtub during labor, what I wanted to eat, wear, who could be in the room during delivery...etc. While I was in the middle of my labor, there is NO way I would have been able to answer a lot of those questions definitively. I was pretty preoccupied! It helped my husband and my dula advocate for me when I had my pushy on-call OB try to push a C-section on me.
    ShainaMay

Answer by ShainaMay at 11:48 PM on May. 14, 2011

• Yes, I did. DS had other ideas, and sadly, things really didn't go according to plan, but I plan to have one next time too.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:09 AM on May. 15, 2011

• I haven't ever had one, and I never had anyone argue with me on much. Definitely know your options and what you will and wont do, but at least in my experience, everyone has asked me as I went along what I preferred.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 12:10 AM on May. 15, 2011

• I made a birth plan - it said i wanted an epidural, which augmentation meds i preferred, clay would cut the cord, that i would breast feed that i didn't want to use a commode or have a bed bath. what pain med i preferred and anesthesia i preferred for a c-section. that i wanted the IV started immediately and a bolus given right away so i could get my epidural without delay. that no visitors would be allowed for 24 hours etc. I really didn't need it, cuz i was able to communicate all my desires at the time without writing them down
    nurse_maya

Answer by nurse_maya at 1:27 AM on May. 15, 2011

• yes it made it very easy
    momtobe522

Answer by momtobe522 at 7:52 AM on May. 15, 2011