Work at a daycare

I'm going to start volunteering at a daycare in 3 weeks, I'm wondering, if any of you work at one...what is it like? Do you get to bring your child while you work for free? What is the pay like? What is your role there...?
I'm going to complete the food handler's license (i think that's what it is called) CPR, etc. I really hope to actually be hired there eventually, but starting off as a volunteer.

What was your experiencing? =] I'm so excited!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 PM on May. 14, 2011 in Money & Work

• I worked at a daycare before I had my son and I absolutely loved it. I worked in a 1-2 year old classroom and in the mornings we had our daily lesson plan and then they would play for the rest of the day (well, around lunch and nap lol). It's a very rewarding job
    LeslieNBreaux

Answer by LeslieNBreaux at 11:49 PM on May. 14, 2011

• AFTER RAISING THREE VERY ACTIVE BOYS AND BEING A HANDS ON GRANDMA THE LAST THING I WANT TO DO IS BE WITH KIDS THAT I DON'T HAVE TO DON'T GET MY WRONG I LOVE THE LITTLE RASCALS TO DEATH BUT THE NERVES ARE NOT WHAT THEY USE TO BE LOL
    MADUKES402

Answer by MADUKES402 at 10:14 AM on May. 15, 2011

• u are so lucky. when i retire from army i want to open my own daycare!!
    mrsary

Answer by mrsary at 9:43 AM on May. 16, 2011

• I worked at one most of my teenage and early 20's and i loved it. The pay was crap but the rewards were much more. I love children and seeing those happy little faces everyday was great. My problem was that i could not understand how people could leave their kids there 12 hours a day when both parents were making 6 figures each?? It was hard. I was telling them about their childs first words and first steps and new tricks etc.. and they didnt even care they missed it. It broke my heart. These people would be there before we opened at 6am and would pay the dollar a minute charge to get them late after we closed at 6pm. So sad! I got a discount bringing my niece who i had custody of. But my center was a rich one, maybe an average center would be more fair about bringing your child. Good luck, its alot of fun. I only left because I wanted my own children one day and didn't want to be burned out by that time..lol
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 9:50 AM on May. 16, 2011

• I worked at a daycare center from 2000-2003. At the end of the interview, when I was 99% sure I had the job, I told the owner that I had a 2 1/2 yo son and asked if he could attend the center at a reduced rate or something. She said, "We'll work something out." That "something" was free childcare for my son. In 2002 I had a daughter and again, the cost for me to have two kids at the center was zero. Of course, the pay was crap ($7.50/hour) but the fringe benefits (jeans, sweats, shorts every day; being with my kids all day, etc.) were great. It's a hard, physically demanding job but it can be rewarding, too.

1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 9:45 AM on May. 17, 2011