At what age did you start giving your children chores?

?

justme782

Asked by justme782 at 11:57 PM on May. 14, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think its important to start them early to teach responsibility, age appropriately of course. My daughter is 3.5 and she has picked up after herself toy wise since about 2, now she helps make her bed etc, she loves helping in the garden, weeding etc , she doesnt see that as a chore though lol she tries to wash her own dishes when she is finished eating now also.....
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 12:07 AM on May. 15, 2011

• my son has had the chore of picking up toys each night since 2
    nurse_maya

Answer by nurse_maya at 11:58 PM on May. 14, 2011

• my son is 9 and has all kinds of chores he has had chores since he was about 2
    EvansMommy31605

Answer by EvansMommy31605 at 11:59 PM on May. 14, 2011

• From like the age of 2 she started by helping me clean her room. Now she is 14, she cleans her room, does the litterboxes, does her own laundry....
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 11:59 PM on May. 14, 2011

• My 16mo DS already loves to help me when I'm cleaning the house, so his "chores" are really ones that he chooses to do. He also enjoys the responsibility of feeding the dog, so we let him get the bag of food out of the closet and tip it into her bowl. He is always SO proud of himself. I think if you start incorporating household "chores" into their lives at an early age, you get less resistance as they grow older because it's just something they were raised doing and actually enjoy doing.
    ShainaMay

Answer by ShainaMay at 12:00 AM on May. 15, 2011

• My daughter's main chore is to keep her room clean right now..she's 4 =)
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 12:01 AM on May. 15, 2011

• As soon as they understood "lets pick up toys" and could help, they had "chores" - so by a year old.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:15 AM on May. 15, 2011

• As soon as they can walk they get to help out. Start having them help pick up their toys. (Do it with them and make it fun). Eventually you'll be able to walk away and say go pick up toys. DD loved to clean with me. Her favorite was going to get the vacuum for me. For some reason she loved to run it. lol. When their young, help them do the chore. That way later you can step back and allow them to have more freedom to do it on their own.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 12:16 AM on May. 15, 2011

• Probably about 3 years old...and that was picking up after herself and helping with her kitten.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 12:17 AM on May. 15, 2011

• my youngest is 4 and the only chore she has is to keep her room clean, my other daughter is nearly 17 she has the same chore keppin room clean, apart from that they dont get givin chores with her being 17 she pretty much helps out alot anyway
    caz72

Answer by caz72 at 10:57 AM on May. 15, 2011