"Can you tell me why you think if something is genetic, it must be right?"

"Do you think any behavior is morally appropriate simply because it has a genetic link?" Takeoff from another question: In regards to homosexuality being genetic?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 12:16 AM on May. 15, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Just to be devil's advocate here....what about the ongoing theory that alcoholism is genetic? Even if it is proven to be genetic that isn't right.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 9:11 AM on May. 15, 2011

• Because if it's not, you have grounds to argue people with different skin colors are naturally inferior. Sound familiar?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:18 AM on May. 15, 2011

• oh boy......
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 4:27 AM on May. 15, 2011

• god doesn't make mistakes so if he makes one genetically prefer one sex then it must not be wrong. am i correct?
    nurse_maya

Answer by nurse_maya at 1:04 AM on May. 15, 2011

• If it is genetic and does not harm anyone than it is not wrong.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 1:34 AM on May. 15, 2011

• If you have a child who is born with Downs Syndrome, you know that it is a genetic condition. You come to understand several things: there will be NO cure for this condition, there will always be some limits to what this child will be able to achieve, and that you will deal with this for the rest of your life. Homosexuality is the same thing. It is a genetic condition. It cannot be "cured" or controlled. And if you or a loved one has this condition, it is there until their life is over. Being gay in a straight society is uncomfortable and, sometimes, even dangerous or life-threatening. Who in their right mind would CHOOSE this???? Many genetic defects can be "fixed" with treatment or surgery. But just as many can't.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 2:00 PM on May. 15, 2011

• I was just going to make the same reference as NP. Sin is a behavior. Things like your skin color, shoe size, and possibly sexual orientation are not a choice. If the person truly is born that way, what do you do?
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 12:25 AM on May. 15, 2011

• If you're born to love a man or a woman then that's who you were born to love. It's not a sin to love who God created you to, no matter that person's gender.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 12:29 AM on May. 15, 2011

--

I agree with this ^ and what NP said. I believe people are just fighting to have the same rights as everyone else. I haven't heard any real examples of it harming anyone--only fear and discrimination.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:25 AM on May. 15, 2011

• Genetics isn't the reason why I think it's okay. Even if it were a choice (which I don't think it is), who they love and what 2 consenting adults do is none of my business.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 9:28 AM on May. 15, 2011