What do you think?

It is no good casting out devils. They belong to us, we must accept them and be at peace with them. D.h. Lawrence

So many times we are told to better ourselves try harder. Most of the times you see people striving for perfection and they are miserable and faking it. So what if we just accept ourselves the way we are?

whitenena

Asked by whitenena at 12:20 AM on May. 15, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I accept the simple fact of humanity. I change the things which I am in power over, I let lie and do not dwell on the realities which simply are.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:04 PM on May. 15, 2011

• I'm not real sure how anyone else feels, but if I were just satisfied with myself, I would so totally bored. I get satisfaction from constantly trying to better myself. It's like an adrenaline rush for me!   I'm not saying I can't be accepting of the things I cannot change, but I will constantly work on the things I can.

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:24 AM on May. 15, 2011

• They only belong to you IF you let them.....otherwise no they do not belong to you.. you were created to be free and whole...
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 4:32 AM on May. 15, 2011

• As an atheist, I embrace my humanity, flaws and all.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:33 AM on May. 15, 2011

• I think that's a load of crap. Attaining perfection is impossible, but if we didn't strive to better ourselves, this world would be in sorrier shape than it is.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 6:32 PM on May. 15, 2011

• I like it, metaphorically. I don't believe in devils or demons. I believe there are things within ourselves that we have to work on, to cultivate the nature and so forth that the religions of the world call us to aspire to...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:53 PM on May. 15, 2011

• I don't strive for perfection, but that's no excuse to just accept my flaws and live with it. IMHO, that's a lazy cop-out to do whatever we please and have a good enough excuse to rationalize and justify it. I'll continue to strive to be a better person, all the time knowing that perfection is out of my reach.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 1:48 PM on May. 16, 2011

• what if we just accept ourselves the way we are?

-

This is the best place to start. Our wisdom is within. I don't think it's about self-improvement as much as realizing who we really are. I guess you could see it as no there is no absolute perfection or imperfection. Life is temporary, conditioned, & imperfect -accepting the truth of imperfection & letting go of rigid expectations is healthy & liberating.

"We already have everything we need. There is no need for self-improvement. All these trips that we lay on ourselves—the heavy-duty fearing that we’re bad and hoping that we’re good, the identities that we so dearly cling to, the rage, the jealousy and the addictions of all kinds—never touch our basic wealth. They are like clouds that temporarily block the sun. But all the time our warmth and brilliance are right here. This is who we really are. We are one blink of an eye away from being fully awake."~Pema Chodron
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:21 AM on May. 15, 2011

• I agree with ObbyDobbie... we all have our faults wither good/bad... we call them what we see
    fit to call them wither it's demons/devils...
    Fix what is humanly possible and don't dwell on those that are "Simply Are"
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 12:38 PM on May. 15, 2011

• I accept the simple fact of humanity. I change the things which I am in power over, I let lie and do not dwell on the realities which simply are. [obbydobbie]

⇑ What she said ... 

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 2:06 PM on May. 15, 2011