Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Name change for minor child?

Has anyone had their child's last name changed?
Do you need your ex's permission to do so?
Do you file with Social Security or in court?

I have custody of my child and want to change his last name to match mine and my husband's (who's not the biological father) But has been his father for most of his life

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:06 AM on May. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

Answers (3)
  • No, I have not had it done because you do need bio dad's permission. Its done in court.

    Answer by emmyandlisa at 1:11 AM on May. 15, 2011

  • To change their name you need to have current hubby adopt minor child in order to legally change name...

    Answer by looneymom424 at 1:14 AM on May. 15, 2011

  • You only need Biological Father's consent if he is on the birth certificate. And name changes for minor's go hand in hand with step parent adoption. I've already asked a lawyer about it.

    Answer by Keeely07 at 1:15 AM on May. 15, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.