Breastfeeding?

I kno I want to try but my mom didnt produce enough milk..does any1 kno if that could b genetic? Also what do ladies think of the half formula half breast milk idea? Any opinions would b great. Thanks!

Heather021287

Asked by Heather021287 at 1:11 AM on May. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• I would recommend giving it a try, regardless of what happened with your mother. If it works out, I promise you won't regret it, it's an incredible gift to give your child, even if you only do it for the first 6 weeks, you are boosting their immune system and giving them a much better start than any other option. I think a lot of women tend to get frustrated easily in those first couple weeks of breastfeeding, and that's perfectly understandable! There's so much going on right after you have your baby, it's easy to want to give up when you get overwhelmed or when things don't happen as naturally or easily as you are led to believe. If you have any difficulties, just ask a lactation nurse in the hospital to assist you, and you can always ask moms here for advice. Your breast will continue to fill up, based on your baby's needs, and remember, it's colostrum at first so it doesn't seem like much! But your baby will have a TINY
    ShainaMay

Answer by ShainaMay at 1:25 AM on May. 15, 2011

• Feed on demand. Everytime baby cries, u offer the boob. Nothing else
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 1:14 AM on May. 15, 2011

• Im pregnant with my first baby and both my sisters and my mother couldn't produce enough milk to satisfy their children and they gave up.... I talked to my doc and she said that the best thing to do is just keep feeding even if you don't think they're getting enough. It's like supply and demand eventually you will start to produce the amount she needs to be full, drink plenty of water and eat the right foods to help you stay hydrated and producing milk. Cute way to remember to feed the right amount is my doc told me to put 12 Hershey kisses in a line somewhere that I would see everyday, and every time I breastfed to eat one, that way when they were all gone I knew that the baby had eaten enough to not be starved or over fed and chocolate not only makes the momma feel good but also helps to produce milk! Definitely something Im going to try lol Hope I helped :)
    BabyBoo7887

Answer by BabyBoo7887 at 1:42 AM on May. 15, 2011

• Continued! a tiny stomach at first so it doesn't take much to fill them up :) If you have a difficult time breastfeeding, and you DO decide to try formula, keep in mind that when you switch to a bottle it can be hard to get your baby to go back and forth between a real nipple and a fake one. So if you try to do half and half, don't be surprised if your baby gravitates more towards one of the other. Good luck and I hope you enjoy whichever method you choose!! :)
    ShainaMay

Answer by ShainaMay at 1:26 AM on May. 15, 2011

• I don't believe it is a genetic problem. At least, I've never heard of it as being one. But like ShainaMay, I do suggest trying it. It is difficult for some people but it is definitely worth it. I had the most trouble breastfeeding my son but the closeness that we developed was very much so worth it. I only got to breastfeed him for the first 6 weeks because I had developed gall stones when I was pregnant with him and I couldn't take the medicine that they gave me and breastfeed him. I tried to keep pumping so I would keep making the milk but it still dried up when I had to get my gallbladder removed. When I wasn't making as much milk but still trying to breastfeed him I also gave him formula with it so that he would get enough. Good luck!
    tiffanynichols

Answer by tiffanynichols at 1:37 AM on May. 15, 2011

• Many woman are told that they must not produce enough milk. Oddly enough, milk production issues are usually very rare. Research how the body works, it will ease your mind. Feed on demand, offer nothing else, join a support group. Remember milk does not come in for the first several days, and babies go through whats called "cluster feeding" where it seems that they are not getting enough, but as long as they have wet and poopy diapers, they are fine. It takes a few weeks for you body to adjust.

Don't listen to doctors, find a lactation support group or specialist. Most doctors have no lactation training. I remember my grandmother telling me that all her babies were allergic to her milk, her doctor told her that! It does happen but its a condition so rare and serious that that baby usually dies within the first 72 hours. You can do it!! Educate yourself. Start researching breastfeeding.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 2:22 AM on May. 15, 2011

• Anon, I have 5 yrs of breastfeeding under my belt. Chocolate does not cause diarrhea, nor does caffeine.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 2:23 AM on May. 15, 2011

• O sorry lol guess i was wrong. Its what my mom told me when i was bf and seem to be true for my ds. evertime id eat choclate or drink caffeine he wud get diarrhea but cud be diff for each baby i guess? u do have way more experince then i do daughteroftruth lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:26 AM on May. 15, 2011

• Not having enough milk is generally not genetic unless you have similar hormonal issues or not enough gladular tissue and some recent studies have found a link between not having enough milk and being obese. So those would be some of the only issues that can be genetic related. But my aunt and her two oldest daughters had really bad problems with this so I'm sure there can be something but it's not very likely.
    Combo feeding is an option that works for many women. My Mother did it for me when she had to go back to work and it worked very well for her and for many women I've known. I would give nursing a try and if you want to give a bottle then do it. If you think that they are not getting enough then do it, unless your milk supply is really sensitive it won't do much.
    lizziebreath

Answer by lizziebreath at 2:31 PM on May. 15, 2011

• That is a cute idea. but chocolate has caffeine in it and will give the baby diarrhea
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:54 AM on May. 15, 2011