Parents that dont allow birth control

I'm not trying to judge I'm just asking. Is it really a good idea to refuse your teens birth control? realistically, most teens are going to have sex no matter what you say. I just don't understand parents that wouldn't do all that they can to protect their teens by providing birth control. It doesn't necessarily promote sex, its just a form of protection right?

Caelynnes.Mommy

Asked by Caelynnes.Mommy at 2:42 AM on May. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think i'd much rather give a teen bc than have a teen mom but that's just my opinion.
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 2:45 AM on May. 15, 2011

• When I have a daughter I'd let her have birth control...you never know what could happen.
    BlueMockingbird

Answer by BlueMockingbird at 3:07 AM on May. 15, 2011

• Protection does not enable sex. Having genitals does. Protection just makes it safer. So, if a child is mature enough to go to a parent and say "I'm making the choice to have sex, or will be making the choice, please help me with protection" it would be highly irresponsible for a parent to say "no, you're on your own."
    bishopblack

Answer by bishopblack at 3:13 AM on May. 15, 2011

• I answer that question with a question to parents who still think getting their child bc is saying go have sex. I say would you rather be uptight about getting bc or up at night raising your new grandchild? I have 2 girls, feel like Ive taught them to respect themselves, but I know they're going to have sex eventually before they're married. Is just realistic.
    RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 3:19 AM on May. 15, 2011

• I definitely agree with you. Conversations must be had before handing out some pills, but knowledge is power! Get the kids informed, let them know what they are risking if they engage in sexual behavior, and give them the tools to handle the situation more responsibly. And getting a kid on BC or giving condoms doesn't necessarily mean you are giving your kid a green light, my first boyfriend carried around a condom for about three years before we first had sex. His dad just wanted him to be safe if he DID make that decision (of course it was expired by the time we needed it LOL).
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 4:09 AM on May. 15, 2011

• I hope my daughter feels comfortable enough to come to me to ask for bc and when she does, I will take her to get it. Like someone else said, giving it to her doesn't guarantee she will go out and start doing it, but at least she will be safe if she does. I do think though that she should be educated on her options and understand the risks associated with her choices. At the end of the day, I would help her protect herself, acting like you can prevent her from having sex by making it harder for her to get bc is unrealistic.
    boshs1andonly

Answer by boshs1andonly at 8:54 AM on May. 15, 2011

• I have a daughter who will be 18 this month. she can still roll her eyes if you ask her about moms monthly sex, drugs, and alcohol talks. But now she can laugh a little and appreciate the talks we had. I taught her that she should not have sex until she is ready to spend the rest of her life with the guy. I also told her that if the guy pressures her to have sex she has a right to say no and shouldn't just because he wants to. I explained that if she has sex she needs to be prepared for the consequences that go with it, such as diseases, pregnancy and the guy leaving her when he gets what he wants. Well having all this knowledge she did decide to have sex this past September. She had been dating her boyfriend for 4 months at that point. She asked me to help her get on birth control and I did. She is still with her boyfriend it has been almost a year their together. I didn't prevent her from doing it but she was smart.
    Samantha M.

Answer by Samantha M. at 11:59 AM on May. 15, 2011

• Do you realize that BC pills can cause horrific side effects especially if taken for years at a time? Hopefully, my daughter has half brain and chooses to take the respectable route and doesn't have sex. BC doesn't protect from diseases and emotional pain either and it isn't even 100% effective.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 5:11 PM on May. 15, 2011