Fights between siblings

DD is almost 2 years old DS is 3 1/2 years old. Well, they are constantly fighting. DD is the aggressor. She will, for no reason at all, go up to her brother and slap him upside the head, bang him on the head with a toy, bite him, pinch him(and when I say pinch, I mean she takes as much skin as she can grab and digs her fingernails in and twists.) She will take whatever he is playing with and if he whines, will then proceed to throw it at him as hard as she can(which is pretty hard from personal experience and on a side note, it's amazing how accurate her aim is as she hits the head almost every time.) DS will then attempt to fight back or just sit there and take it. If DS takes a nap, DD will go climb all over him and slap him. If DD is taking a nap, then DS stays very quiet and very still almost like he's afraid to wake her and if I ask him to wake her up, he will start crying. I break up the fights as soon as I can and have them kiss and hug then I put them both into time out and take away their toys. This has been going on for a year. I understand that siblings fight, but this is just terrible. What can I do, that I haven't already done?

JosHaileyMom

Asked by JosHaileyMom at 6:40 AM on May. 15, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The Mom Police is going to be on call 24/7! One solution to this problem is adaptation dor your DD. You from now on would have to be supervising them at all times. The moment you notice your dd starting to "bother" your ds you rise your voice and command her to put her hands down. Do this consistently and next time your dd puts a hand on your son she is going to literally look at you for approval.

Also teach her appropriate way of playing with yout brother. "Not the face", "be gentle" etc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:59 AM on May. 15, 2011

• wow I'm going thru same thing except my dd is only 1 and my ds is 2 1/2. My dd does not let my son get away with nothing. Just be prepared to watch them 24/7 and being their referee.
    Marie682

Answer by Marie682 at 7:11 AM on May. 15, 2011

• LOL! That made me think of when I was training my dog to stay off the couch. I will have to start trying that as soon as they wake up and make sure hubby does it as well. As far as teaching her appropriate ways to play, I'm trying to do just that. DS has it down pact, but still working with DD.
    JosHaileyMom

Comment by JosHaileyMom (original poster) at 7:12 AM on May. 15, 2011

• @Marie682, That's when mine started.
    JosHaileyMom

Comment by JosHaileyMom (original poster) at 7:13 AM on May. 15, 2011

• You are now entering the referee state of mothering.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:27 AM on May. 15, 2011