What books would you recommend for a women's book club?

AngiDas

Asked by AngiDas at 7:01 AM on May. 15, 2011 in Entertainment

• It totally depends on the group. I belong to 2 groups. Everyone pitches in ideas. Some of our real winners have been:

Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
    Barney's Version - Mordecai Richler
    Three Day Road - Joseph Boyden
    Best Laid Plans - Terry Fallis

Something that always adds a really special dimension to our meeting is if we can bring a local author out to discuss their book or if the local library or book store has an author event.

Have fun reading!
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 7:17 AM on May. 15, 2011

• How about My Sister's keeper? It's a good book and lots of things to discuss from the point of views of the parents', main character and main character's sister.
    jbs_mommy

Answer by jbs_mommy at 7:57 AM on May. 15, 2011

• Anita Shreve - The Pilots Wife.
    ThatBoysMom

Answer by ThatBoysMom at 8:22 AM on May. 15, 2011

• Even though I read mostly YA books, there are some I totally recommend - the City of Bones series is awesome if you are into fantasy-like stories (it features handsome heroes and memorable characters in the world of shadowhunters, demons, etc.)
    The Hunger Games trilogy is also a great, easy read with lots of action.
    I loved Water for Elephants (plus the movie came out recently and it follows the book pretty closely)
    The Apothercary's Daughter by Julie Klassen is a great read about a gal in early London and the choices that define her life (it's along the lines of Jane Austin books, but MUCH easier to get through)

There are certainly lots of choices out there. What style does your group enjoy the most? Good luck!

sunshyne_rust

Answer by sunshyne_rust at 12:47 PM on May. 16, 2011