How much TV do you let your kids watch?

I have a 5 year old and almost 8 year old stepchildren - when they were younger, they were allowed to watch TV all the time, and always went to bed and watched TV until they fell asleep. I've lived with them for more than 2 years now, and we have a great relationship- they call me mommy, they never see their mom, so to them I'm their mom. I've cut down quite a bit on their TV watching, but the younger one still prefers to do that over play or other activities. Sometimes it seems as though he's being punished when he's asked to turn off the TV and play with his toys!! How much TV do your kids watch a day?

sdbrowneyez

Asked by sdbrowneyez at 7:01 AM on May. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• I leave the TV on all day for my kids, but unless it's sesame street or Between the Lions they don't really pay attention to it. If you can try taking them to the park or outside where TV isn't such a distraction.
    JosHaileyMom

Answer by JosHaileyMom at 7:19 AM on May. 15, 2011

• We usually have the TV on for background noise, but nobody really pays much attention throughout the day.
    bishopblack

Answer by bishopblack at 7:36 AM on May. 15, 2011

• My 9, 11, and 13 yo's have an hour of screen time/day that includes tv, video games, and computer. During the summer when they are home all day we increase it to 2 hours/day. They can "earn" an extra 15 minutes of screen time from doing chores (unloading the dishwasher, vacuuming a room, etc) and they can lose it in 15 minutes increments based on behavior.

Answer by missanc at 8:18 AM on May. 15, 2011

• My kids are older now so the TV is on much less. When they where little we would have it on for background noise. My 2nd child was a preemie and had some hearing issues and the Audiologist recommended this practice to strengthen his hearing. I have never felt that TV was this be "evil" thing. I have always monitored what they watched, but TV has never been an issue at my home.
    sipn_mom

Answer by sipn_mom at 8:30 AM on May. 15, 2011

• My son is not into the TV much, I never put a TV in his room, and we would turn it on to watch a specific show, then turn it off. He watches the most in the morning before school while he is eating breakfast. He never goes to sleep with TV on. We live with my MIL now, and she has the TV on all the time, and my son has actually commented on it, how Grandma is addicted to TV! Give him an alternative to TV, or give him some poker chips for 15 minutes of TV time, and when they're gone they're gone.
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 9:05 AM on May. 15, 2011

• We have it on as background noise, or b/c I am watching something, they only pay attention to a few shows, or when it is early in the morning and they are still a little tired.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 9:19 AM on May. 15, 2011

• i dont restrict the time the tv/computer/video games are on in my house and its never been a battle and the kids really only use these things about 3hrs a day on the weekends and about 1hr during school weeks.....i've never made it a big deal so they dont make it a big deal , we do a lot of outdoor activities and the kids are all involved in some kind of sports or programs outside the house so the time the tv is on is kinda wind down time mostly unless we are watching a movie...

cara124

Answer by cara124 at 9:35 AM on May. 15, 2011

• Not much , probably an hour in total a day maybe two sometime's .But They watch disney junior or sprout .
    des11987

Answer by des11987 at 10:13 AM on May. 15, 2011

• More than the recommended daily amount.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:25 AM on May. 15, 2011

• I don't set a limit really - I limit the kinds of things they watch though, and they can't watch after school if they have homework or before school. During the day it's more for noise than it is for watching, DS has sensitive ears and hates having the radio on but likes having PBS in the background (and he's picked up some amazing stuff for his age because of it!).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on May. 15, 2011