how do i stop a baby who crys until he vomits when trying to get to sleep?

my 8 month old has got into the habit of crying so hard he vomits when trying to get to sleep. He is simply refusing to take naps and is becoming over tired as a result. We have no idea how to break this and it is now extremely distressing.

lyra978

Asked by lyra978 at 7:46 AM on May. 15, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. My daughter did this and along with the vomit she was tensing up so much she would actually potty in her diaper. We established a bedtime routine that lasted about half an hour (we would bathe, put pjs on, read a few stories, and i would sing songs - the last being twinkle twinkle little star. With each step I let her know we were leading up to bed. It was difficult the first few days while she was adjusting. If she soiled her diaper or vomited after I put her in her crib, I cleaned her up and put her back with as little communication as possible (doctor's advice). It took a few days but she finally understood where her place was at night and she stopped. For easy clean-up, I would put a waterproof crib pad on the floor beside the crib so I didn't have to haul the carpet cleaner out. :)
    daisypetals2000

Answer by daisypetals2000 at 8:14 AM on May. 15, 2011

• I would rock and comfort him.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 9:07 AM on May. 15, 2011

• Have your tried a crib music toy? We have the Vtech crib music box from Walmart. It's voice activated so if the baby cries it automatically turns on & has music & twinkling lights. We did an evening wind down too. We would dim the lights, feed the baby, then burp him, lay him down & put the music box on. He would fall asleep before it turned off. This way they don't feel alone in the room & the music soothes them. The more the baby sleeps during the day with a constant regular routine, the better they will sleep at night too. GL.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:03 AM on May. 15, 2011

• My mom went through something similar to this with my little sister, only she figured out how to stick her finger down her throat and make herself throw up so that my mom would have to come in the room...but anyhow, yeah if you really want to break them of the habit, you'll probably have the most success with the answer that daisypetals2000 gave...that's how my mom finally got my sister to stop, cause she knew that it wasn't going to get her out of having to go to sleep.
    summermail88

Answer by summermail88 at 10:28 PM on May. 15, 2011

• Check out the No Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley. Don't allow the extended crying till vomiting anymore... not only is it hard on the nerves and on the laundry.. the acids could damage any teeth he has.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:45 PM on May. 16, 2011