I can't seem to stay focused or organized...

I have a smart phone with the Android operating system. Anything on the calendar syncs to my Google calendar. All of my contacts from Gmail, Facebook, and Twitter all sync together on the phone. I have paper planners and calendars on my laptop.

DH and I have separate home offices. We have toy organizers, coat racks, shelving units, a dry erase calendar that magnets stick to, a cork board, fridge magnets...there's plenty of ways for us to get and stay organized. But I'm terrible at it.

Before I had kids, before I was married, I folded my towels and stacked them by size, color, and type. My clothing used to be hung by size, style, color, and season, with special hangers labeled Monday through Friday for laying out weekly outfits. I used to organize my sock drawer. I used to line up pencils by length.

How do I reconcile my former overly-organized self with my current frazzled disorderly bed-head-and-sweat-suits personality?

I feel like I need to spend the summer getting that balance somehow, so that in the Fall--when I'm suddenly teaching two college courses while taking three college courses and caring for two children and (possibly) working full time somewhere while still trying to make a side career out of writing and still trying to run my household and somehow find the time to sleep, eat, and lose 166lbs--I won't spontaneously combust.

I filed this under "Health" because it's about mental health.

AmourSpork

Asked by AmourSpork at 8:03 AM on May. 15, 2011 in Health

• the first thing i would suggest it stop trying to be perfect , the second thing would be to slow down and not take on so much .....then the third thing would be to start with one task at a time.......example start with your closet...clean out stuff you dont wear and organize the rest in a way that fits your life.....then move on to the kids toys....ect. ect.
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 9:27 AM on May. 15, 2011

• Make a list of all the things you want to change, list everything. Then go through the list and prioritize every item...whats the first most important thing you want to change that would be #1, then find the second thing #2, and so on until you've numbered each and everyone of them. THen find #1 and start working on getting just that one item organized and under control before moving on to item #2. Good Luck
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:45 AM on May. 15, 2011

• You both gave me great answers and I hate to have to choose, but cara124 needs more answers points.
    AmourSpork

Comment by AmourSpork (original poster) at 3:42 AM on May. 16, 2011