I stoppped breastfeeding

how long is it gonna take for my milk to dry up and what will help it go away faster?..

Mami9674

Asked by Mami9674 at 8:20 AM on May. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• How long has been since you stop? It might take awhile because you was breastfeeding but do this when you are in the house take a big cloth and tie it around your breast real tight or anything that you have in house that is big and long enough to do it do that and it will dry up the milk. I did it and my mother-in-law told me that and it worked. I hope that this will work.
    bigmama224

Answer by bigmama224 at 8:25 AM on May. 15, 2011

• it took FOREVER for mine to completely dry up.
    daisypetals2000

Answer by daisypetals2000 at 8:26 AM on May. 15, 2011

• Express as little milk as possible. When you let milk out it tells your body that you need to make more. The less you let out the more your body will realize you don't need to make any more. It sucks being engorged...just wear pads and a tight bra. Eventually it'll leak a little when you get too full, but don't pump or anything.

It makes it easier to wean baby from breast rather than just quitting all at once, too.
    Ludvik_Smith

Answer by Ludvik_Smith at 8:28 AM on May. 15, 2011

• I BF my son for 10 mos, and I would still leak a few drops when he cried a lot, oh, for a year afterwards. Don't get discouraged. Everyone is different; but I wouldn't bind your breasts, it could cause you to have mastitis and that is painful!
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 9:03 AM on May. 15, 2011

• My doctor told me that taking 24 hour Sudafed would help me. I nursed for almost 2 years last time and even though the Sudafed helped, I can ALWAYS squeeze out a few drops no matter what ever since I had my first child almost 6 years ago. LOL
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:48 AM on May. 15, 2011

• Hey I just went thur this- and mine stop being engorged in 2 days and my 1 mth can still smell the milk but I am not linking. Cabbage is worsesome but it helps a lot, Wal-phed or suffed 12 hrs help dry up the milk I took them for 3 days, and wearing tight bras help with support. My dr suggested the suffed 12 hr to me. I have a question on my list of ?s with helpful tips. =) hope this helps
    Twokids201189

Answer by Twokids201189 at 10:54 AM on May. 15, 2011

• It can take days, to weeks, to months, even years for the milk to completely disappear. Did you stop cold turkey, or did you do a gradual wean? That will make a difference. You can wear cold cabbage leaves, with the veins broken, in your bra until they wilt, and replace as needed to aid in the drying of the milk. If you are engorged and in pain, Motrin is good for that. Wear a supportive, well fitting bra, and whatever you do, do not bind your breasts or wear a too tight bra or top. Binding/too tight clothing can lead to clogged ducts, which can sometimes lead to mastitis, a breast infection, and you want to avoid that if you can.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:49 PM on May. 15, 2011