How do I fatten my kid up?

My doctor told me my 18 month old son is underweight at 22 pounds. He's pretty thin, but he eats like an animal! He gets about 24 ounces of milk a day, and he eats about 4 to 5 meals a day. He runs around like a normal kid, and he gets plenty of fruits and veggies. I even give him some candy sometimes, like soft chocolates.

How else can I fatten this little man up?

xmama_bellax

Asked by xmama_bellax at 8:37 AM on May. 15, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try giving him pediasure (which is kinda expensive) or carnation instant breakfast packets mixed with whole milk. I have one with autism who is very limited on his food choices. The doc told me this is a good way to get some nutrition into him.
    daisypetals2000

Answer by daisypetals2000 at 8:42 AM on May. 15, 2011

• If he's eating and still underweight he's most likely fine. My dd is 6 and has always been underweight. I'd get a second opinion if a dr told me to feed my well fed child more.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 8:43 AM on May. 15, 2011

• what's his height? 22 pounds doesn't seem alarmingly underweight for an 18 month old. my 16 month old is 22 pounds also but her height evens her weight out.

my oldest, 4 and a half, is underweight at 32 pounds. doctor told me to give her carnation instant breakfast twice daily mixed with whole milk with meals, so that's suppose to be her drink with 2 meals per day. it has helped some, but not much. she's extremely active and tall so she's always going to be thin.

as long as he's active, growing both physically and developmentally, try not to be too concerned about his weight. do not overcompensate with chocolates and junkfood either. remember to give that stuff in moderation.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:47 AM on May. 15, 2011

• You could try making a smoothie with some healthy fats like coconut oil or avocado. If u use frozen blueberries, banana, plain yogurt and apple juice with the avocado, he might just love it like my kids do. And it's uber healthy too!
    nepenthe429

Answer by nepenthe429 at 8:54 AM on May. 15, 2011

• Why on earth would you want to fatten him up, are you going to sell him by the pound????? as long as he is healthy who cares is he is thin!!! A lot of the parents that did what you are now trying to do, created over weight adults, so be careful what you wish for.......

Answer by older at 9:12 AM on May. 15, 2011

• I am completely with Older. my daughter is 28 months and 24 lbs...so imagine what I hear from the doctor! The truth is, both of my kids are tiny...I was tiny...dad was tiny...grandparents were tiny...and amazingly, we all survived before doctors knew how "underweight" we all were. My grandma just laughs if I bring up what the doctors say because she says "God, they would have taken my kids away if they went by a chart!"

With my first, I let them do all sorts of blood draws and sweat tests. I was a nervous first time mom and wanted to make sure there was nothing "seriously wrong" with my child like they thought. All NORMAL. They even recommended that I load their food down with fats and butters. NO WAY. What kind of eating habit does that set them up for as an adult?! If your child is eating normally and is active, don't worry not one bit about what the scale says. I really think doctors like to fill your head with worry.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:43 AM on May. 15, 2011

• I wouldn't worry about it. My 19 month old was 21 lbs. at her 18 month checkup but she's getting taller so her weight is evening out. She eats like an animal also. Health is more important than keeping them to the chart and fattening him up will just cause problems for the future. If he's eating and growing, there's nothing to worry about. I was worried when they told me she weighed so little but they reassured me, she's growing taller so the weight evens out throughout her constant growing body. I know a 9 month old who is 23lbs. They are just built in their own way.
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 11:03 AM on May. 15, 2011

• my son is the exact same way....hes been eating meat and potatos since he was 5 months old. he loves food. but he doesnt gain wait. his dad and i are both small. so that factors in.
    MommaWoods

Answer by MommaWoods at 10:25 PM on May. 15, 2011