Worried about plugged ducts and infection but im trying to dry up

will doing warm compresses make me not dry up? ive been trying for two days now but have been doing the hot compresses when they get real sore and hand expressing a little milk. will this prevent me from drying up? any suggestions?

xunlucxyx0

Asked by xunlucxyx0 at 9:41 AM on May. 15, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• cabbage leaves in your bra... sounds strange but it works
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 10:28 AM on May. 15, 2011

• I never got clogged ducts or infections when I weaned - I didn't go cold turkey, but I didn't take it as slow as some say to either. When it was time, I just went farther and farther between bf sessions - I'd wait til I was starting to get uncomfortable before I'd bf, if they were hungry before then I gave them a bottle, and if I had to get rid of some and they weren't ready I'd hand-express a little. It got to the point where I only had enough for them to bf in the morning and at bedtime, and afte a couple days I dropped the morning, and the night after a couple more. It took less than a week to do it that way and I was happy with it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on May. 15, 2011

• I did not use any compresses and dried up naturally. Drink plenty of water.
    MommaJerrie

Answer by MommaJerrie at 2:11 PM on May. 15, 2011

• If you're weaning from nursing, gradually will help with the engorgement and clogged ducts. If not, cold cabbage leaves with the veins broken placed in your bra, changed when they wilt, can help dry the milk. Motrin for the pain. If you get VERY uncomfortable, pump or hand express JUST enough to be comfortable.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:36 PM on May. 15, 2011

• best way to dry up is birth control pills, estrogen is a supply killer. also cold meds. there is also a tea called no more milk, the cabbage leafs work to realieve the pain.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:46 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I've heard to use cold compresses rather than hot ones. i'm going to be working on the same thing myself here pretty soon. good luck to you!
    flamingomegs

Answer by flamingomegs at 4:59 PM on May. 16, 2011