Do I get a gift or no?

DD was invited to a bday party and could not make it. This is the conversation that took place via FB. I am not sure if I would be overstepping my boundaries if I still bought a gift for her son. Advice appreciated

Friend
Ellis couldn't remember if he gave Cleo an invitation.
He is having a birthday party saturday from 3-5 and would love it if Cleo could come. Let me know by thursday. Sorry for the late notice

Wendy
Aww, I wish she could but she will be in Lexington. What is Ellis into these days? I know Cleo will want to give him a present for his special day. .

Friend:
U guys don't have to give him anything. Thank you. I do think we need a mommies night out and daddies night in!!!

Wendy
May 9 at 8:31pm Oh, we want to get him something...and YES, a girls night out would be great! You tell me when and I will be there! LOL

wendydays

Asked by wendydays at 10:24 AM on May. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think you are doing the right thing getting him a gift.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:35 PM on May. 15, 2011

• if you left it at, "oh we want to get him something . . . " then YES, you should get him something. Even if it is something small that your child picks out from the dollar store.
    nepenthe429

Answer by nepenthe429 at 10:28 AM on May. 15, 2011

• I don't think you are overstepping by getting a gift, but you don't have to since you missed the party
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 10:26 AM on May. 15, 2011

• Id get a gift. I always do.

Answer by gemgem at 10:31 AM on May. 15, 2011

• It's up to you, I don't give a gift unless I rsvped that I would go and then something came up and I couldn't make it or if we go to it.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 10:34 AM on May. 15, 2011

• If Wendy said she wants to get him something then maybe she should. But its a present for a child that probably already has more than enough so I don't think its a big deal either way. Enjoy the night out.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 10:36 AM on May. 15, 2011

• I would get a little something - even just a special coloring book (Wal-Mart has some awesome huge ones for cheap) and fun crayons.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on May. 15, 2011

• This happened to us recently. My daughter was invited to a party and we said we'd go. Then something came up, we got really busy that day and totally forgot about the party. We got a gift anyway and gave it to the birthday child the next time we saw them. Our general rule is nothing over $20, usually closer to $10.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:33 AM on May. 15, 2011

• You don't have to, but if you want to, it's OK.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 11:45 AM on May. 15, 2011

• I'd get a gift
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 7:55 PM on May. 15, 2011