Picky eater.....repost

My son is 2 and has always been a picky eater. He doesn't eat most vegetables, or fruits. He won't eat anything with tomato in it (so spaghetti, or anything like it, is out), and he doesn't eat eggs. He's starting to become even pickier, if you can believe it. He has stopped eating most of his favorite foods as well. Meal times are becoming stressful for me because I know he's not going to eat what I prepare. Any meal suggestions?

MomMom23

Asked by MomMom23 at 10:26 AM on May. 15, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• just make what you make. my ds is a picky eater and I look at it this way, it is my job to prepare a meal it is his job to decide if he eats it or not.....
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 10:27 AM on May. 15, 2011

• yep! I dont have a picky eater at all! He eats everything i give him but i started making him eat it when he was little.like 1ish. Veggies, make it fun!
    if you are worried about him not getting the nutrition he needs, you can try making foods where he doesnt really know what hes eating. lol example, i made my friends daughter this pizza...crust blended veggies ( so it kinda looks like a sauce ) then load it with cheese, she also wont eat veggies and let me tell u, she ate soo much that night =)
    be sneeky haha
    good luck hun

i have more recipes if you are interested you can message me
    LovinMyJay4

Answer by LovinMyJay4 at 10:32 AM on May. 15, 2011

• Sounds like he has turned this into a battle of wills and he has the upper hand right now...

He is still to young to negotiate so I would just serve his plate and make sure he eats at least one good meal a day. One he is a little older say 3 or so you can start getting firmer. For now just ignore the behavioral don't give in to his whims. If he is eating literally nothing then you may want to consult his ped or supplement with something like pediasure but in 99% of cases they don't allow them selves to clinically starve,

You fix a meal for the family and make sure there is at least one thing on his plate you know he will eat. Make his portions about 3 bites. In order to get seconds on the food you like you have to take a 'no thank you bite' of each food on the plate. You don't have to swallow it but it does have to go in your mouth and be chewed.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:35 AM on May. 15, 2011

• Of course the last plan would be when he is older

You can start now making it fun. If he like ketchup or ranch let him dip... everything. Shoot my kids dip green beans in ranch dressing. lol. Let him help cook and pick the veggies. Have him pick a favorite color and try to eat that color that day! Talk about who else eats that food. Let him know at breakfast what will be for dinner and that you hope he will eat it. Kids are more likely to eat what they halped make.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:38 AM on May. 15, 2011

• I would start researching this on the internet, because it is becoming a power struggle with you and your son. he knows he has the power, and he LIKES it. of course he does, because he doesn't have any power anywhere else in his life, it's intoxicating! Look for a good book on Amazon or the local public library. But for now, here's the new rules. You serve the food, and there's no talking about who likes/dislikes the food at the table. You eat it or don't eat it, you don't care. There's no rules about dessert (if you do dessert) there's no in between meal snacking, the next meal is at the next meal time. Eventually, he will eat. See your pediatrician to make sure he is not sick, and get him tested for food allergies, but I bet it is just a power struggle.
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 10:41 AM on May. 15, 2011

• My best advice is to continue to sever just one meal... no special requests... if he chooses not to eat what is provided then there is also not a snack between meals... this ensures that they will be hungry and not fill up on snack foods (they learn quickly that if they don't like the meal provided they can hold out just a bit longer and have a snack!)
    We don't stress about it with my son... it's not a battle.. if he chooses not to eat that is fine. I think sometimes the more you fight and stress about it the more they fight back and refuse to try.
    We also try to sneak the good stuff into the foods he already likes... like mac and cheese always has added veges... pizza has veges... my son LOVES hamburgers... so sometimes they are vege burgers. French fries are a hit so we will do homemade sweet potatoe fries.
    We don't give a ton of juice but when we do it's a fruit/vege blend....
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:30 AM on May. 15, 2011

• Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:35 AM on May. 15, 2011