How many months should your newborn be before you add cereal to their milk?

I heard the cereal helps the child sleep thru the night. However, doctors say 3 mths but my friends all say that since my son is 1 mth old , now is perfect timing. Is this the only alternative to get my baby to sleep thur the night?

Twokids201189

Asked by Twokids201189 at 10:47 AM on May. 15, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• First: You do not add cereal to their milk! It is not a good idea to feed cereal in a bottle--choking danger. You feed it with a spoon from a small bowl when the baby is old enough. I don't understad WHY this is still being discussed when Doctors and Moms have been saying NO to cereal in a bottle for so many years. Now the issue of WHEN to start cereal or fruit is up to YOU and ask your PEdiatrician about that.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:07 AM on May. 15, 2011

• Adding cereal to baby's formula is no guarantee of baby sleeping through the night. It can cause choking, constipation and upset stomach. It really should only be fed to baby with a spoon when s/he is ready.

I know you are tired -been there, done that and it does get easier. Baby will sleep through the night when ready and that is the only time. And dwmom is right, you will eventually wonder where that baby went. My first had severe reflux and nothing helping him to sleep. But now that problem seems like nothing compared to some of the stuff we go through now. I could hold him or any of the kids and make things better. Doesn't work now that they are school age - teen.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:58 AM on May. 15, 2011

• I would go with what the doctors say, some studies say early cereal is like asking for obesity, and some babies cannot swallow the cereal. No, it is not the only alternative to get the baby to sleep through the night! Trust me, this passes all too quickly. Whatever stage you are in it seems like it lasts forever! But it doesn't! When your child is one month old you have no perspective, but believe me, when you see that toddler running away from you, you'll think fondly on the days when you were rocking him to sleep in the middle of the night! There is no secret formula, try a pacifier, try swaddling, but they have tiny stomachs that need to be filled regularly! Good luck, you can do this!
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 10:51 AM on May. 15, 2011

• 4 months at the earliest. Both of my kids did great with breast milk only until they were 6 months old.
    cdecker83

Answer by cdecker83 at 10:56 AM on May. 15, 2011

• my boys got no cereal until they were 6 months old. Cereal and food didn't effect the way they slept the night. Things like formula or breast fed makes the difference and how much they consume during the day. if they are hitting a growth spurt they will wake more If you are breastfeeding remember thatL it gets digested faster and well the baby will need to wake more often. Like the other poster said it will pass.
    mommy2boys03

Answer by mommy2boys03 at 11:02 AM on May. 15, 2011

• NEVER add cereal to the bottle. Cereal will NOT help a baby sleep "through the night" - especially not a 1 month old. Just don't do it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on May. 15, 2011

• sleeping through the night is a milestone, if done forcibly too early it's unhealthy. doctors will sometimes give the okay for cereal very early but this is typically for babies with GERD or other reflux issues. little tummies are not equipped to handle anything but breastmilk or formula.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:00 AM on May. 15, 2011

• NEVER! they will sleep all night on their own! u cant force it!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 12:29 PM on May. 15, 2011

• Before even reading any of the replies, I will answer with never. Unless directed by a pedi and even then, I would look further into it. I say nothing other then breast milk or formula until at least 6 mos old.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:30 PM on May. 15, 2011

• I know you are feeling desperate having to get up in the middle of the night with your baby. It's hard, but it's worth the sacrifice. Cereal is just empty calories. We didn't give our kids solids until they reached for it at 6 months old.

Lower your expectations and just go with the flow.
    RobotLady

Answer by RobotLady at 11:38 AM on May. 15, 2011