Help me understand (a s/o of same-sex question). . .

If Jesus died for your sins, and all sins have been forgiven, then why is homosexuality, or "acting on" same-sex feelings one that can't seem to be forgiven?

Time and time again in this section, examples of Old Testament laws have been presented and asked why those aren't followed any more, and the answer is always that Jesus came and sacrificed himself so that we don't need to follow those rules any more.  All our sins are forgiven, the old laws no longer apply.  That's why we can wear mixed fabric clothing, jewelry, overeat, etc. 

Why, if those "sins" are forgiven to the extent that they don't need to be considered sinful anymore, why is it that some Christians still cling to this need to deny the same rights to same-sex couples and teach their children to believe that loving same-sex relationships are an "abomination"?

If it's about procreation, then shouldn't all couples who can't or won't conceive their own children be prevented from having relationships?

If it's because homosexuality is mentioned in the New Testament, well, so are many other "abominations" that aren't part of this same level of scrutiny.

What is it about homosexuality that has so many people working in overdrive to prevent mention of it in public schools, prevent same-sex couples from obtaining the same marriage rights as heterosexual couples, prevent same-sex couples from adopting, etc.?

I know. . . this question comes up many times over the course of a year, but I haven't found a satisfactory answer that really explains the depth of this discrimination.  Who has one?

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 11:06 AM on May. 15, 2011 in Religious Debate

• You'll never get a satisfactory answer, b/c there is none beyond the fact that it gives them a feeling a superiority.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 11:09 AM on May. 15, 2011

• GOOD question! I am waiting to hear the answers. Although.....after reading them,I might have to do a lot of that"counting to ten" stuff. LOL.

popcorn

minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:12 AM on May. 15, 2011

• clapping

ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 11:12 AM on May. 15, 2011

• I have never understood the who Jesus sins things, surely we are still responsible for our actions? Even those who believe in Jesus?
    aishanabuaisha

Answer by aishanabuaisha at 11:13 AM on May. 15, 2011

• It depends on how they were raised. Most older and/or religious people are afraid of homosexuals because they don't understand that it's genetic, not chosen. And as far as sins go, "your" past sins are forgiven if you live the straight and narrow path, try to not sin. It does NOT mean you can break the 10 commandments just because Jesus died for your sins. He said, "Go and sin no more." With our technology, some of the no-no's from centuries ago are ok now, like eating pork. Use common sense with most things, listen to that little voice in your head. It will tell you if something is wrong.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 11:17 AM on May. 15, 2011

• I haven't found a satisfactory answer that really explains the depth of this discrimination.

--

Me neither. Curious to see answers. Good questions!
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 11:22 AM on May. 15, 2011

• "Do not think that I [Jesus] have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth dipsapear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke or a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. (Matthew 5:17-18)"

I guess they ignore what Jesus himself said...

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 11:34 AM on May. 15, 2011

• If I remember right the only sin Jesus himself took the time to mention was divorce. He really seemed to dislike the whole divorce thing.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 11:49 AM on May. 15, 2011

• Who said a homosexual sinful sexual act cannot be forgiven? Of course it can. It's just like any other sin.

I think you are wondering why people are more up in arms about the sins of homosexuals than of other sins, including their own. Well, actually, people who judge homosexuals don't seem to look at themselves, right? They talk about sins homosexuals commit as if they never sin themselves.

Whether a homosexual chooses to act on his/her sexual desires is between him/her and God. People who do not desire the same sex are not in a position to judge a homosexual's struggles. We should all pray for homosexuals to have the strength to live a full life and be right with God however they manage to do so.

PS, I am not condoning the behavior, I'm just saying it's none of my business to judge it.
    RobotLady

Answer by RobotLady at 11:50 AM on May. 15, 2011

• I find it interesting that many people in the PC&E section condemn Michelle Obama for her efforts to help American children avoid obesity and develop healthy lifestyles (which would seem in line with the "laws" about gluttony), but also work to prevent same-sex couples from having the same rights as other couples in this country.

If sin is sin, then I'd expect to see those same people who fight against equality for homosexuals, based on their religious beliefs, to support Michelle Obama in her efforts to curb gluttony in this country.  It doesn't seem to be the case, though.  Gays are targeted for what those Christians deem as sin, but most other sins are given a free pass. 

Isn't that curious?

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 11:59 AM on May. 15, 2011