what do you do when you have a child that steal and lies about it even when she gets caught

I have a grand daughter that takes things that don't belong to her and then lies about it . she will be 6 jan 3rd. She is three yrs older then her sister and was the only child for 3yrs. I don't have a problem when she is at my house, but she did this at her other grandmothers and at school and home.
Can you tell me what is going on.

grandmaham

Asked by grandmaham at 8:05 AM on Dec. 6, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• my son try to steal at the store one time i caught him he had his hand up his jacket and i asked him what did he have he said he didnt have anything but i pulled his hand out and ofcourse i found sprinkles lol out of all the candy he was trying to take sprinkles but he didnt leave with them i told him stealing is bad you can go to jail for it have a talk with her and see why she does it maybe there is a reason
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 8:10 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• Could be something going on at home or possibly school or the other grandmother and she is using it to get attention the only way she knows how. To her, whatever it is is enough to make her want attention. 5 year olds don't take things because they want too. You might be suprised at the answers you get if you ask her. Ask her the same question different ways about taking things. Everytime she answers a question go into depth with a question, but easy enough for her to understand . It could be something small or something big. She doesn't do it to you because she is comfortable with you.from what I am reading its an ongoing thing, not just one thing.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 8:28 AM on Dec. 6, 2008