Can your 1 yr old un-hook a seatbelt or carseat belt?

This is a re-post from real early this morning. I am just wondering if anyone's child can. I only got 2 answers and 1 of them said their child cannot and the other was a comment.

I have a friend that lost her 10 month old in a car accident a few yrs ago. She said he was fastened but that he must have undone the belt. He was ejected from the car and the carseat was not. I use to watch this boy and still don't see how he would have the strength to push the button hard enough. Now that I have my own son, I just have more of a hard time comprehending this. I found one of his toys in the closet last night so I am thinking of all this again. His 7 yr old cousin was also in the backseat and he had 2 broken legs. So it was a real bad one but autopsy showed the only trauma to baby was to the head from windshield impact. He was in a brand new carseat with the harness straps. I always let his mother bring up the subject. I don't ask. She still calls me crying and I just comfort her and help her deal. There are some things that I do not know about it. The first thing I asked her though was, "was he strapped in." She was driving and ran off the road. It was investigated and she was never charged. My former supervisor's son is on the fire dept and was the first to find him. He said his first impression was that he was not buckled.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on May. 15, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No my kids could not open the straps at a year old. My 5year old still couldn't do it at 4 when he went into a booster seat. My 2 year old doesn't know how to do it either. My guess is that she didn't have all the buckles buckled OR the chest clip wasn't in the right spot to properly position the straps OR the straps were not tightened on him. Those are all reason for why he was ejected from the seat.
    heatherann0221

Answer by heatherann0221 at 3:08 PM on May. 15, 2011

• My 2 year old has exceptional fine motor skills for his age and he can not unbuckle his seat. Hell, I'm an adult and I have issues with it sometimes.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 11:23 AM on May. 15, 2011

• that is SO SAD! :-(. my daughter was 1 at the time and she DID unbuckle herself, we were traveling to a docs that was 3 hours away, i buckle my kids and double check! She unbuckled herself.. she is almost 4 now and she gets her 2 year old brother out of his seat all the time of course after we are stopped and getting out..
    that was not the only time she had unbuckled either she used to do it a lot until i had to start smacking her hands and her butt..
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 11:23 AM on May. 15, 2011

• i will add, i have a 5 year old son that cant unbuckle the carseat still to this day cant.. nor my 2 year old son.. just my daughter.
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 11:24 AM on May. 15, 2011

• Both of my kids at one could not unbuckle themselves. At one though they were still in a 5-point harness. My daughter DID figure out how to push the chest buckle down to her hips and free her arms from the straps. At about three they were each moved to a booster seat with back and that's when they figured out how to unbuckle themselves. They're now 7 and 4 and can buckle/unbuckle with no problems.

I HAVE heard though, about some of the regular seatbelts in vehicles coming unlatched in accidents and young kids being thrown from the vehicle. Some parents are pushing for kids to be in a 5-point harness until they're 5. There is also a Britax carseat that will handle the higher weight to support this push, but it's $200-$250 dollars.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:20 PM on May. 15, 2011

• My DD is 9yrs old now so car seats back then may be different than newer ones. But she was capable of unbuckling herself. Not sure what age. I want to say closer to 2 though she could have been younger. We were able to see her through our mirror and DH was normally in the car with me and kept a close eye on her anyway. Anytime she did it we'd tell her no and make sure she was re-buckled. I'm sorry about your friends child. Its never easy to loose a loved one but especially hard when it is a child. Your a good friend for listening.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 11:25 AM on May. 15, 2011

• Sometimes car seat buckles can come undone. They get fluff and dirt stuck in them and do not 'click' in right, if you notice that, do not use that car seat, get a new one or clean it until it clicks. I have got 2 new car seats since my 3yr old was born due to this, just didnt want to risk it. So it is possible that your friend's baby wasn't fastened properly and it came out. I dont think there is any way a 10 month old would be able to press the button and unclick. So so sad! But it's so important to check if it's in right!
    matteosmummy

Answer by matteosmummy at 11:39 AM on May. 15, 2011

• No my Son could not release the clasp himself at that age and now he knows better then to try. We have a Britax & the latches are very hard for even me to do. Remember also that even if the child is securely fastened, the chest clip should always be positioned as high on the chest as possible & also they say that if they are wearing a jacket or coat that is not zipped, they can easily slip out if the chest clip is not in proper position as well. That is such a sad story though :(
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:44 AM on May. 15, 2011

• Nope. My son who is a little over 3 and my dd who is 20 months still can't unbuckle themselves. I find it a little hard to believe that he would have had that sort of hand eye coordination. There are times when I have problems unbuckling my kids. And if it ere a 5 point harness system, ther would have been way to much a 10 month old would have had to do to get themselves out.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 12:06 PM on May. 15, 2011

• nope
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 3:25 PM on May. 15, 2011