What would cause my ribs to to hurt when I breath.

What could it be.its wen I breathe in

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on May. 15, 2011 in Health

• Are your ribs bruised? Maybe you have an infection in your lungs as well? Go to the doctor
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:34 AM on May. 15, 2011

• Bronchitis, emphysema from smoking?

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:39 AM on May. 15, 2011

• Intracostal chondritis...basicly you could have either irritated the cartiledge between your rib cage or the muscles surrounding it. Take some form of NSAID's
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:39 AM on May. 15, 2011

• all of the above... or pleurisy, muscle strain... many reasons... only a doc can tell for sure.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:42 AM on May. 15, 2011

• Your best bet would be to ask a doctor. It shouldn't hurt to breath in. Have you done anything strenuous or have you just gotten over a cold (coughing can make your ribs hurt) do you smoke? If you answered no to all of these things, find a way to get to a doctor. Especially if it lasts more than a week.
    Samantha M.

Answer by Samantha M. at 11:43 AM on May. 15, 2011

• sharp pain when you breathe in can be from a rib out of place...see a chiropractor
    if you have been hit or fallen and you think you may be bruised, then you can't do anything but wait for the healing...you could look into taking arnica though.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 12:20 PM on May. 15, 2011

• I have bronchitis right now and my pain when breathing in is right in the middle of my breastbone, not my ribs.

Pain in ribs while breathing could be bruise, cracked or broken ribs.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:28 PM on May. 15, 2011

• inflammation of the cartilidge on the rib cage, aka costochondritis. VERY painful, and it can be hard to take deep breaths. NSAID are great!
    sadmotherof4

Answer by sadmotherof4 at 1:59 PM on May. 15, 2011

• or the shingles
    alliep2011

Answer by alliep2011 at 2:02 PM on May. 15, 2011

• I don't know! I do empathise with you! I know how it hurts! I hope you can go in and get some relief! Mine I think is from Cancer , Chemo & radiation.. I wish you find your healing!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 4:32 PM on May. 15, 2011