Any ideas on how to potty train 8 month old?

I learned about EC a little late but would still love to give it a chance... I have 3 year old whom I can't get to use the potty since he has Autism. Communication is very difficult for him. I would have liked to to learn about EC when he was an infant. It would have made of potty time less painful for him.

jessicaa100

Asked by jessicaa100 at 11:31 AM on May. 15, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Oh it is just too soon. Your sweetie will be more ready closer to 2 years old. Check out Baby and Child Care by Dr. Benjimin Spock. It is a wonderful book. I am consulted it will all by babies.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 11:34 AM on May. 15, 2011

• 8 months? good luck.... my daugher was potty trained a month after turning 2.. my son is 2 and has yet to even pee in the potty
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 11:36 AM on May. 15, 2011

• Sorry but that is way to young and forcing him may backfire.

Wait another year at least.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:39 AM on May. 15, 2011

• Why would you want to potty train a baby so young? If they are pulling off their diaper try putting it on backwards or try using onsies t-shirts with the snaps in the crotch area so the baby can't get at the diaper. I had 3 kids and the earliest one trained at 22 months and it was a girl. Most boys are 2 1/2 to 3 years old. You don't want to force them until they are ready because it can cause long term bladder and bowel control issues. Good luck.
    Samantha M.

Answer by Samantha M. at 11:39 AM on May. 15, 2011

• sidesplittinglaughter

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:39 AM on May. 15, 2011

• Check out cloth diapering groups and natural parenting groups on here for advice on this topic.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 11:39 AM on May. 15, 2011

• an 8 month old??? You DON'T... that's way to young physically and emotionally. People that say their one yr old is PT'ed are wrong... it's the parent who is trained... trained to take their kid to potty on a schedule. RELAX... you still have at least a year before the process starts with any hope of making progress.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:40 AM on May. 15, 2011

• all 3 of my kids were potty trained within a month of turning 2. i actually with my first started when my son was 18 months old.. and within 2 weeks he was just about of my diapers and then one day it backfired - he was still too young so... i waited another 6 months..

3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 11:42 AM on May. 15, 2011

• badtoo early way too early i wouldn't start until 2 years but 8 months no way!!!!

traren

Answer by traren at 11:51 AM on May. 15, 2011

• Not to early.. I've done EC (Elimination Communication) with some success!
    My youngest is 19 months now and I've been ECing him since 6 months old... I catch a pee every morning and 2 or 3 during the day as well.
    It's about knowing your child's signs and daily elimination routines.
    What i would suggest is that as soon as your baby wakes in the morning, strip him down and place him in the sink. The sink works well for my son because he doesn't like to be held in the the EC position and his bum is too small for the toilet seat we have (even the kiddie one) so in the sink you can just put him in there, make sure his fet are out of the way.. and wait.
    You can make the Psss sound if you wish.. it's not really needed I've found. I either ask my son to pee or just wait.. with in about 5 minutes He'll go.
    I wipe him up and away we go.
    Simple, Easy.... it take 5 minutes out of your day.

I'm going to message you.
    MyIslandGirls

Answer by MyIslandGirls at 11:59 AM on May. 15, 2011