Does anyone have adult children with ODD?

I'm curious if anyone has gone through the process of bringing a 16 year old boy with ODD into adulthood and how they do in taking care of themselves as adults.

Samantha M.

Asked by Samantha M. at 11:34 AM on May. 15, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• I have an older brother (now 36) who has major behavioral issues (violent and unpredictable). When he was diagnosed with ADHD at the age of 17, he refused to get any type of help for himself; and since then it's been the same story. In ways I can empathize with my brother,I have been diagnosed with depression and ADHD and it hasn't been an easy road. A huge barrier to my brother getting the help he desperately needs is the STIGMA of mental illness, and that by getting help (meds,counseling, or both) means that he is crazy or that something is wrong with him. I believe that my parents did the best that they knew how to in dealing with my brother (while receiving little help or support from others), but I think that many times their help backfired and in turn they ended up enabling his behavior. As a mother, remember you can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make him drink.
    Shellbell001

Answer by Shellbell001 at 5:35 PM on May. 15, 2011

• someone once told me that if I were diabetic, would I resist the daily shots that would help me stay "stable" so that ppl wouldn't know I was sick until I had a seizure or would I take the shots to reduce the number of ppl who knew I was sick?.... Try that argument.

Also from a Bipolar Mom... the "crazy" part is not taking meds that can help you function in the world. I have chosen to take medicine every day for the rest of my life so that I can take enjoy my children, take care of my household, and feel the love of DH... without medication, I would miss out on all of that. Good luck 2 you
    hollydaze1974

Answer by hollydaze1974 at 2:25 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Yup, my adult stepson has ODD alright-- "O (zero) Discipline Disorder"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:56 AM on May. 21, 2011

• Hellion from age 10 on up, doesn't want responsibility (trying to get SSI for "mental illness-hopefully he's denied)...and unless this kid gets a big-time personality transplant of some sort, there's a strong possibility he'll remain an adolescent mentally all his life.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:59 AM on May. 21, 2011

• I don't believe in alot of these newer so-called "'"disorders""".
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 3:44 PM on Jun. 4, 2011