9 yr old boy facing criminal charges after bringing toy gun onto the bus.

PALMER - Police say a 9-year-old elementary school student from Palmer will be summoned to juvenile court to face charges for bringing a toy handgun on the school bus.

Chief Robert Frydryk says the school district has a "zero tolerance policy" regarding weapons. Even though the gun was a toy, it is considered a weapon because it shoots soft plastic projectiles.

Frydryk says there is no indication the Old Mill Pond Elementary School student wanted to hurt anyone. The student's name was not made public.

The incident occurred May 5. The boy told police he forgot he had it in his jacket when he got on the bus.

Superintendent Gerald Fournier tells The Republican of Springfield that the school took appropriate action "based on the policies and procedures we have in place."

Read more: http://www.myfoxboston.com/dpp/news/crime_files/crime_watch/boy-charged-with-bringing-toy-gun-on-bus-25-apx-20110513#ixzz1MR5qsUf7
It sounds to me like it was a NERF gun..my boys have several small enough to fit in a jacket pocket.  The boys in our neighborhood frequently get together and play with them.  I think it is entirely plausible that it was forgotten in a pocket.  Besides it is a TOY.  I can't imagine what CRIMINAL charges apply to TOYS.  Sometimes zero tolerance means zero sense.
Your thoughts.

yourspecialkid

Asked by yourspecialkid at 11:41 AM on May. 15, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes when will end a toy gun might lead to a real gun you know the slippery slope

PinkDragon, you know, one day its Nerfs, then you are spending all of your allowance on a Super Soaker. Next thing you know, you find yourself in a dark alley trying to score a paint pellet gun!

(props to Michael Keaton as Mr. Mom from whom I lamely ripped this off)
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 1:15 PM on May. 15, 2011

• Zero tolerance has gotten a bit ridiculous. Haven't they suspended kids for drawing a picture of a gun and just pointing their fingers like a gun too? And wasn't there a case where a boy was pointing his chicken nugget at lunch and got suspended too?

Little boys are boys, and even if never exposed to guns or violence, will play cowboys & indians or cops & robbers. It's just the way they are. I remember my dad bought my son a lone ranger set for Christmas when he was about 2. It had a rifle, scarf, mask, the whole nine yards of stuff. He loved it! He is now 32 and hunts but has never been a violent person. We've also always had guns in the house, rifles, shotguns, handguns and our kids were taught to respect them and that they are not toys.
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 11:54 AM on May. 15, 2011

• Sometimes zero tolerance means zero sense.  Your thoughts.

You pretty much expressed my thoughts exactly.  If it looked like an AK or a real gun I can see where there would have been some confusion.  Without a description of the actual toy in the article, I tend to lean toward the belief that the omission of a description is purposeful. 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:50 AM on May. 15, 2011

• When I was reading the story the first thing I thought was nerf gun as well considering there is no way you could confuse one of those with a real gun I think its crazy.

On a side little rant I can't believe a school would waste police manpower on a nerf gun.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 11:45 AM on May. 15, 2011

• so a 9 year old is being charged for bringing a toy nerf gun on the bus but a 9 year old drinking and driving could have KILLED someone isnt being charged because he is too young..
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 11:46 AM on May. 15, 2011

• exactly, zero tolerance = zero common sense
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:44 AM on May. 15, 2011

• WHAT A SYSTEM WE HAVE WHEN MUDERS,AND RAPIST,CHILD MOLESTER GET A TAP ON THE HAND,AND OUR BABIES ARE BEING PUNISH FOR BEING KIDS.GOD HELP OUR LAW SYSTEM AND CHANGE OUR LAW MAKERS VIEWS OF WHAT IS RIGHT AND WHAT IS WRONG,BECAUSE THEY DON'T SEEM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE
    MADUKES402

Answer by MADUKES402 at 11:48 AM on May. 15, 2011

• My guess is that it is more like this type of gun and those "soft plastic projectiles" hurt like a bitch.

It could have been but the use of plastic projectiles vs plastic BBs makes me think not. 

Another story of a 7 year old being charged for a nerf gun type of toy.

http://scaredmonkeys.com/2011/02/04/7-year-old-boy-arrested-for-shooting-nerf-style-toy-gun-to-hammonton-nj-school/

Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 12:16 PM on May. 15, 2011

• My husband and I (and most of our old neighborhood) had nerf guns... We played Gotcha with the suction cup fun... Even the UPS man was in on the fun. It was pure FUN!!!! But with people like those arresting kids for toys.... It won't be long till the 'progressive' mentality has everyone sitting in their homes, staring at each other afraid to have fun.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:42 PM on May. 15, 2011

OK, I guess if you bought this for your kid and didn't put some bright-colored marking tape on it then you are just a MORON. Because you could likely end up having your kid get shot! This is a pellet gun for chrissakes!

No, I'm betting it was a Nerf type gun, the article said toy, most people would not consider this a toy. This I would consider like a bb gun, which is also not a toy.
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 1:18 PM on May. 15, 2011