School for kids born in 2005...

Do you think it is fine to send them to Kindergarten this coming school year instead of the current one? My son will be 6 in July and he will be going to Kindergarten this year. I caught so much crap from people for waiting! He was hyper for sooo long and the only people that understood is my cousin who is a teachers aid and my mother! My husband even thought I should have sent him last year. I know I made the right choice. I know they CAN go at 5 yrs old but they do not HAVE to. He would have been 17 when he graduated. I didnt want to have a 6 yr old going to First Grade and being behind the other older kids. I was determined to do it this way. He is my 1 and only. I'd like to know.... how old were your kids when they began Kindergarten and do you think the month/season made a difference in your choice on when you sent them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:23 PM on May. 15, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My son was born March of 2005 and he'll be graduating Kindergarten this year. I knew he was ready bc he knew all his letters, numbers, colors, shapes, could count in 3 different languages and was reading at a 2nd grade level. lol He was ready...... my brother at 5 was NOT ready and ended up being held back because of it. My son has a friend in school, she's 2 weeks younger than he is and is being held back in Kindergarten bc she wasn't ready to start. You do what's best for your son. :)
    Jenniy

Answer by Jenniy at 10:42 AM on May. 16, 2011

• My son will be 6 in September and he will start kindergarten in August. I could have pushed the issue and had him start before, but I figure they made rules for a reason an I sent him to preschool this year. I think he will be successful, I wouldn't have wanted to push the issue and him have trouble
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 12:25 PM on May. 15, 2011

• I started school at 5 (turned 5 in June) and was so glad to be able to gradutate before I was 18. Each child is different, but I was happy I started younger so I could be finished younger. My older daughter was 5 when she started school (turned 6 in November) our younger daughter was 6 (turned 6 in June). Both kids went when they were ready.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:26 PM on May. 15, 2011

• I started kindergarden when I was 4 and was always the youngest in my class....I also graduated on time when i was 17. I was never behind the other students. As long as your child will apply themself then they will do fine....but you know what is best for your child. I cant say one way or the other that what you did was right or wrong for waiting because i dont know your child....if he is a very hyper child then he would have had a hard time starting school....but like i said....you know your child and what they are ready for better then anyone.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 12:30 PM on May. 15, 2011

• My little girl was born in 2005. She went to head starts when she was 4, and is now in Kinder. All of my kids started as soon as they could. The reason for it was even though they would be 17 at graduation it gave some play in case one of them somehow failed a grade, and it does happen. I did hold 2 of my boys back. One because he was smaller then the others, not grasping concepts and all that The teacher and principal convinced me to do it, and I dont think now I should have. My 17 yr old is a Junior and was held back due to his special needs.
    All in all though I encourage people to start their kids in school asap.

Answer by gemgem at 12:31 PM on May. 15, 2011

• my dd just turned 6 on the 29th of april. She started kindergarden last september the first and she is doing really well. She was 5 when she started. She was my first. I mean holding them back is your decision, but I think you should hold them back just because of them being the youngest in the class. My youngest just started headstart 2 weeks ago and she is 3. She just turned 3 in January. I plan on putting her in kindergarden to when she turns 5. I am pregnant with our 3rd baby 3rd girl and she will be born in august and I plan on putting her in at 5.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 12:35 PM on May. 15, 2011

• Every child is different. Both of my boys were ready and did enter kinder at 5.5. They are/were in class with kids who had just turned 5 as well as kids who were turning 6 either just before school began or shortly after. Both of my kids did just fine. My DD started at 4.75 and didn't turn 5 until Oct. of kinder. She also did fine. Now in 6th she is far ahead of her bff who is over a year older (her mom did hold her back a year.)

So it just depends on the child and his/her readiness. I wouldn't have held any of my kids back for being hyper. But because they didn't know enough of the requirements to succeed. And being 17 for a month or so after graduation shouldn't be a concern. My friend's dd just turned 18 at the middle of her freshman year of college. It's all in the ability - at some point age will have nothing to do with it.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:36 PM on May. 15, 2011

• Thanks ladies! I never got input on it before. It was always more like "He NEEDS to go now!"
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:42 PM on May. 15, 2011

• Where I am kids start the year they turn 5. So you can have kids almost a year apart in age. My dd's bday is the first week of january, when she was in kindergarten, there were boys that had bdays in december. The maturity was very different, they were always getting in troble. I think they are doing fine now though.(shes in gr.2 now) I think its mostly boys that are held back by most parents, as they take longer to mature. DS who is my 2005 baby, bday is in June, so he was 5 for a couple months before he started Kindergarten this past september. He is doing great! Reading, math, listens well, gets along with everyone. I guess if you know your ds couldnt handle a school day quite yet, waiting a year is best to help him mature a bit. That will help him be able to focus better and not get into trouble :)
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 12:44 PM on May. 15, 2011

• I will be sending my Son to kindergarten when he turns 6. He is doing 2 years of preschool just because as far as maturity goes he would not be ready to start kindergarten this Sept. It will only be an advantage for him next year. Especially boys, you are doing the right thing. You are the Mom & know what is best for your child.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:49 PM on May. 15, 2011