Best laptop for kids

We are thinking of getting a laptop for DD. We have several computer games that she likes to play but they are taking up space on our desktop. We don't want anything fancy but something where we can easily control what she can and can't do from it. She is only 6 so she won't purposely be looking for things she shouldn't see, but I don't want her on sites like youtube.

miss_lisa

Asked by miss_lisa at 12:53 PM on May. 15, 2011 in Technology

• If you're planning on travelling, I would go with something fairly small. In terms of hard drive and speed and stuff, I'd look at what you want her to be able to do on it and maybe go to Best Buy or someplace that deals heavily in computers and tell them what you're looking to have her do and see what they suggest.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:28 PM on May. 15, 2011

• My dd is 6 and got one for christmas. It was a mistake. She got a laptop and its now broken. If you get yours one I would suggest a desk top.

Answer by gemgem at 12:55 PM on May. 15, 2011

• HP Dell iPad
    lavenderrose5

Answer by lavenderrose5 at 12:58 PM on May. 15, 2011

• Well if anyone were getting a new computer it would be me, and child would get the old one.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 1:01 PM on May. 15, 2011

• It real depends. Are you wanting something that will grow with her or something for just now? You say she likes the games, are the CDs or online?? They have a peewee Pivot Tablet laptop, that is made for little kids, but won't grow. I love my ipad2 and my 3yr old son loves playing the apps....
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 1:04 PM on May. 15, 2011

• It's always best that we supervise them while using these machines especially when they're very young. Just one click of the mouse could send them to erase the whole hard drive! I'd like to get my son a desktop 'coz I'd like the keyboard a little raised for those tiny hands, but nope, not anything top of the line most probably refurb. Just something that has cd rom drive to play those educational games that he we wanted him to play with.
    filmom2ethan

Answer by filmom2ethan at 1:04 PM on May. 15, 2011

• That seems a little young for a computer.

Best Buy has a laptop that is the most kid friendly I've seen. However I can't find the link for it now. I don't remember the brand, but the keyboard is all one piece to catch crumbs better, and it's just built to take the use and abuse of kids. If I remember correctly it gray and neon green keyboard. It's kinda ugly, but durable.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:40 PM on May. 15, 2011

• We can't do a desktop, we live in a tiny apartment (there is a housing shortage where we live, we're lucky we even have a place) and there's nowhere for us to put a desktop computer. I realize most people might think she's a little young, however we are doing a lot of work with her this summer to get her ready for first grade because she is behind in reading. We will be travelling quite a bit over the summer, though, so it would be beneficial to have something we can take with us. My biggest concern is her accessing things she's not supposed to. We don't plan on having anything important or that can't be replaced on the laptop, it's mostly so she can play the educational games we've purchased for her.
    miss_lisa

Comment by miss_lisa (original poster) at 2:11 PM on May. 15, 2011

• i would not get any child a laptop IMO. We have kind of like 3 computers. The reason I said kinda is because dh has a ipod that gets online so dh uses that a lot. I hve a laptop I got a few years ago that the kids aren't aloud to use. Then we have a desktop that the kids use at times. If you buy it for a 6 year old it will get broke. The screens are so fragial. And if you get it so that you cn go somwhere the battery only lasts about 2-3 hours. I would by one for yourself nd let her use that one under supervision.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 2:23 PM on May. 15, 2011

• We already have a converter for our vehicle since we already have one laptop that we take with us when we drive to places farther away. I'm not asking if you think I should get my child a laptop, that's really up to us and we both agree that it's the best move for our family. I'm asking if anyone has any suggestions as to what laptop would work best.
    miss_lisa

Comment by miss_lisa (original poster) at 2:26 PM on May. 15, 2011