• In the Spotlight:

i don't get it

I'm one of those woman too whose husband left me for another woman. I also like his girlfriend too. I was reading an earlier post where some women said it would be a conflict of interest to be friends with the ex. If there are children involved, what is the conflict of interest? My grandparents remarried,and they all became friends. my brother is friends with his exes husband and the kids think it is great, as we kids thought it was great our grandparents were.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:44 AM on Dec. 6, 2008 in Relationships

• I am not friends with my ex, simply because of the person he is....my kids aren't necessarily friends with their father either, again, the person he is. They are adults now, but have never gotten over what he did.

Now...my future daughter-in-law's parents divorced when she was 1. She is now 30. They have always remained friendly, and she is friendly with the 2nd wife. To the point, when she comes to visit (she lives out of state), she takes her own daughter and her ex's child with this woman out shopping, lunch, etc. It's one happy situation, and has benefited the children immensely.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 8:54 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• I think its fine! I wish my parents were friends! My Daddy was always waving a gun my Mommas hubby or whatever he was at the time...It would have been nice to have them all at b-day parties and holidays.
    MommaWoods

Answer by MommaWoods at 8:54 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• I think it is in the interest of your children for you to at minimum be on friendly terms with your ex and his new wife/SO. If she is going to be around for a while or forever, then really, what are you supposed to do? Have 2 birthdays because you can't be around each other? Two appointments for parent/teacher conferences? Meet at Wal-Mart to drop off your kids because you can't be civilized enough to do it at home? And what happens if/when they have kids! My daughter's father is a complete ass and has completely abandoned my daughter and his older daughter with his ex wife. She and I get along perfectly and it is for the sake of the girls...so they can know their sisters without the relationship being awkward. It is good for the kids if you can get along.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 10:31 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• I'm still married, but I would like to think that if my DH left and moved on with someone else that I would be able to accept the new woman. One time a friend of mine was all upset because her DD liked the new wife. I told her I would be happy about that, I certainly wouldn't want my children miserable when they were with their father. She said "Oh yes you would". What?! I think it's great that you are friends with them, it really is what is best for the children.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 10:44 PM on Dec. 6, 2008