Would you be offended if a stranger asked you if you breast fed your kids?

We were out at a resturant a few weeks ago with some friends and the hostess comes to our table and starts making small talk about kids with one woman at our table. In the middle of this she asked if the woman breast fed her kids. My husband said my jaw nearly hit the table. To me this was incredibly rude. However, the woman at our table was awesome - she answered the question and changed the topic all in one breath. LOL

scout_mom

Asked by scout_mom at 1:17 PM on May. 15, 2011 in Just for Fun

• Honestly, if it was a woman that asked, it wouldn't really bother me. She might be curious for her own planning reasons. Now, if it was a man asking me outa the blue, yeah, that would be a little wierd.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 1:19 PM on May. 15, 2011

• Not at all. But maybe that is because I breastfed.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:20 PM on May. 15, 2011

• No. She's a woman. There's nothing offensive about it.
    lavenderrose5

Answer by lavenderrose5 at 1:20 PM on May. 15, 2011

• NO, b/c I am a proud breastfeeding mama....well I will be a proud breastfeeding mama again when the baby gets here.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 1:21 PM on May. 15, 2011

• I think it depends on how the questions was asked, under what circumstances, and by whom.

if some young boy looked me up and down, focused on my breasts and say "whoa, do you breast feed?" I would be pissed.
    BUT
    if some pregnant lady made small talk with me and then said "did you breast feed all you children?" I would be ok, assuming she was trying to make a life choice and wanted info.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 1:21 PM on May. 15, 2011

• She wasn't planning, she had 6 kids of her own, all grown. This woman was probably in her late 50s. We heard a lot of her life story, to me the whole thing was strange.
    scout_mom

Comment by scout_mom (original poster) at 1:22 PM on May. 15, 2011

• Only if she was asking because she had a problem with breastfeeding. Otherwise I'd just take it as curiosity, and I'd probably end up in a lengthy discussion about the merits of extended breastfeeding, heh.
    bishopblack

Answer by bishopblack at 1:23 PM on May. 15, 2011

• I got asked that a lot when my little one was an infant. It always seemed a little awkward to me, but I tried to take it in stride.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 1:23 PM on May. 15, 2011

• probally not.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 1:23 PM on May. 15, 2011

• LOL... she sounds lonely.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 1:27 PM on May. 15, 2011