Is it okay to keep the cats' food up all day?

I have two small children who will get into the cat food if I leave it out for them during the day. They act like they are starving all day long, even though I put a full bowl of food down for them in the evening after the baby goes to bed. I have nowhere to leave it during the day that the kids can't get it, so I only put it down at night... but they seriously eat an entire 2 cup bowl of food every night.

They aren't starving, are they?

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 1:29 PM on May. 15, 2011 in Pets

• Can u use a baby gate and block off a room for the cats?
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 1:32 PM on May. 15, 2011

• It's best for your cat to leave the food out all the time. Cats are occasional eaters and if they don't have food out all the time they will over eat when it's there.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:32 PM on May. 15, 2011

• I used to put the cat food in the bathroom with a gate up so DD couldn't get to it and the cat could jump the gate. If thats possible for you, I'd suggest it for any room you choose.
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 1:43 PM on May. 15, 2011

• We put the cats' food up on a counter in the laundry room so the kids and dog couldn't get it.

We have 1 kitty who is a bit overweight, who eats in a different room and we only put her food down at night. Took her a little bit to get used to the new schedule, but she does just fine.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 1:56 PM on May. 15, 2011

• Cats are grazers. I feed my three cats once a day, but leave the food out 24/7. One of my cats will gorge himself if I don't keep SOME food in the bowls, then vomit up all he just ate.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:57 PM on May. 15, 2011

• What about putting the cat food out when the kids are at the table eating and then pick it back up when the kids are done? I had the same problem, with my kids. I just had to keep redirecting them, constantly. They were putting the food in the water dish and now the cat refuses to drink from a bowl at all, even if it is fresh from the tap. We got rid of the water bowl, and the kids finally stopped playing in the cat food.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:34 PM on May. 15, 2011

• We put our cat food on top of one our dressers and just leave it there. The cats can jump up and get to it anytime they want.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 2:06 PM on May. 15, 2011

• I have the cats' food bowls on the mantle of my fireplace. I have always kept the food bowls high, once even on top of the fridge. Do you have some high places that you could put it where they would still be able to jump up to get it?
    HistoryPixie

Answer by HistoryPixie at 2:08 PM on May. 15, 2011

• Anon, buzz off. You're right, with a toddler and a crawler and a totally open floor plan it's 100% possible to watch them 100% of the time and make sure they never ever go into the kitchen to get the cat food ever. Maybe I'll just put them in cages so they can't ever mess anything up at all, does that sound like your kind of parenting?

I don't have a place in the house where I could put up a babygate really, except for the back bathroom. Maybe I'll try that... it's just really tiny.
    Ati_13

Comment by Ati_13 (original poster) at 3:18 PM on May. 15, 2011

• Our dog gets into the cat food, so I understand having to keep it up. We finally had to baby gate the laundry room, so if you can do that in a bathroom....I would. The cats can jump over the gate and won't complain. Otherwise, I suggest putting the food on a high counter that you don't mind them jumping onto.
    averyswifeliz

Answer by averyswifeliz at 3:23 PM on May. 15, 2011