children and chores

I have 4 teenage children five if you count the husband. i would really like some help with the chores-i feel that when kids help with the housework they learn how to take care of thier house and respect for the home they live in now--my husband thnks it is wrong to have the kids do more than just the basics. anyone else have this problem??

roughcampmom

Asked by roughcampmom at 9:06 AM on Dec. 6, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• It's called communal living. From the minute a child is born, they live in a community. Your actions and requests outline what their "communal" living will be all about. If you haven't requested/demanded anything for 14 years, you're probably not going to get much help now, and especially if their father isn't working with you on it. The household chores are all a part of the communal living and setting them up for their future. You are right in your thinking.
    When my kids were living at home, we had the rule, that the bedroom was their space, but all other rooms were community. They had to keep the "community" rooms to a certain standard, but they could let their own rooms look like a landfill. ha Now that they're adults and both have room mates, they see the value of this training.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 9:27 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• I call it family responsibility. I don't pay them for chores because we all have to maintain the home. My teenagers are able to do every chore around the house from dishes to cleaning the gutters. It's part of being a family and they are expected to do it.. and do. But not with out some complaining. And if/when that happens I tell them to "Put it in written form and turn it in to the complaint department". Once, my 17 year old asked where exactly that department is located. I smiled and said walk 2 blocks East and 1 block South. (the police department...lol) He smiled and said..okay..just checking.
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 12:20 PM on Dec. 7, 2008