How do I change his sleeping schedule?

All of the sudden my 3 week old decided to start staying up all night and sleeping most of the day. I mean ALL night. He's awake from10pm to around6am or 7am!! He'll nurse himself to sleep but as soon as I put him in his bed he's up crying all night. It's taking it out of me big time... will he switch on his own or is there something I can do to get him back on a regular sleeping schedule? Right now it's 6:07 am and I haven't gone to bed....

MarlyeGirl

Asked by MarlyeGirl at 9:07 AM on Dec. 6, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Thankfully my son has only done this once and that was the first night after he got out of the hospital. I was like you. It was six in the morning and I got no sleep. I was already feeling sick from anemia plus a c-section. But what I did was nurse him right before sleep and that would always make him sleepy. Also, nurse him with lights out and do NOT turn on the light(other than a small night light) when he wakes up to eat. It makes him wake up all the way. Just try not to make any noise, no TV, no light, etc and he'll get the hint that night time is for sleep, not play.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 9:44 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• i remember those times!!! do you turn the lights and tv on when he wakes up?? try really hard not to so he learns the difference and he will!!! also try to work on a schedule nap play massage bath it takes some time but after 3 kids practice make perfect. you can do it and just keep trying .
    roughcampmom

Answer by roughcampmom at 9:12 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• My ds got his nights and days backwards and I tried all the advise I could find I was to the point that my gramma insisted what I needed to do was simply flip him end to end and I even tried that LOL hey I was 19 and TIRED! Anyway sorry, but mine just slowly started sleeping "right" but I also never really worked a schedule with him.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 9:25 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• he will sleep better when he's full, mine used to fall asleep to when they nursed and i just assumed they were full wrong! they'd wake up to as soon as i put them down, stimulate him when he falls asleep, take off his sock and tickle his little foot, maybe pull him off and sit him up, something to wake him up, have him empty a breast completely and burp him then he should be good and full. before hand make him nice and relaxed maybe a warm bath, some soothing sounds/music etc... also babies this young are aloud to sleep alot during the day, they need to so don't try to keep them up, they should have up to 5 (at the most) naps a day.
    workenmom

Answer by workenmom at 9:25 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• I am not too far away from nights like these. First let me tell you it should get better fairly quickly. Second when I was going through these someone told me to warm up the crib sheets before putting munchie down. Apparently the shock of cold sheets is enough to startle some sleeping babies.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 10:18 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• This is normal when they are that little. The only thing you can really do is try to keep him awake more during the day. Let him nap as he should during the day, but not for too long. Try to stimulate him with play, tickle him, put a cool cloth to his cheek--anything to keep him awake for longer periods during the day. A nice, relaxing bedtime ritual (warm bath, massage, breastfeeding--all with no background noise and dim lights) can help--although he is still so little it may not make much difference at this age. And when you nurse him at night, don't turn on the lights or TV or anything that will stimulate him at night. I always kept it dark and quiet with little to no talking during nighttime feedings and changings to teach them night versus day. Good luck!
    LaurLaur623

Answer by LaurLaur623 at 10:33 AM on Dec. 6, 2008