What are somes ideas I can use to occupy my daughter when we go to the store?

My daughter is a terrorist when go out the house, the whole time were gone I am stressed to the max and soon as we get back home she is back to normal. Even when people come over she starts acting out of control..any advice, tips, or ticks!!!

MKMommy662

Asked by MKMommy662 at 2:22 PM on May. 15, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If you are going to the store make sure she is well rested and fed.

Also when you go grocery shopping, make a list and go online and print out pictures of some of the food you will be buying. Then give her a marker and have her circle the item as you pick them out. Then she has something to occupy her mind and it is a game instead of a chore.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:27 PM on May. 15, 2011

• Don't tolerate it for a minute. Everytime swhe gets away with acting like a brat, will cause it more. You are the boss!!!

Try bringing a handheld learning system like leapfrog. Cut pictures of store items and pasting them into a notebook, then have her hunt for them.
    Pick up something little that she likes at the beginning the store. If she is good the entire time, you buy t for her. If she is bad, you return it to the shelf.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 2:27 PM on May. 15, 2011

• That is exactly why I shop alone when my DH can babysit. I say, "Act out & stay home"! After a little while they learn. Want to go out shopping?? Be good or go right home". I have zero tolerance for that. I just don't have the energy & I am not going to suffer & stress out.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:34 PM on May. 15, 2011

• I agree with having her well rested and fed! Take along a small snack, and something for her to drink as well. And usually I bring her "computer" with us, or if I have the money I'll get her a small toy to occupy her. Mostly [when she's in a good mood], we talk about what we are buying, our plans for the rest of the day, and she'll help me shop! I don't normally agree with buying something for kids every time you go to the store, but if it make a shopping trip 1 hour instead of 3 [with all the tantrums], I'm game!
    AnGLInterrupted

Answer by AnGLInterrupted at 3:03 PM on May. 15, 2011

• Before you leave give her a shopping list, perhaps with little pictures next to the words. Bring some stickes to put next to each of the found items. Get her involved in "helping" I give my son a few items that he needs to find to be a big helper and he really gets into it. We also do letter and word hunts on packages. Silly things like putting the apples in a bag and picking out his own snacks make a great deal of fun out of the process. Clothing stores search for the ugliest shirt, electronic stores-take time to push the music buttons in between shopping, guess how many movies are on the shelf. Snacks and drinks while cruising around (while I am sure are not the delight of the store) can buy you some time.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 9:34 AM on May. 16, 2011