Is there a way to tell the difference between a break and a sprane without going to the docs?

SabrenaLeigh

Asked by SabrenaLeigh at 2:48 PM on May. 15, 2011 in Health

• not really... A complete or near complete fracture would be unstable but an incomplete fracture may just be painful.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:52 PM on May. 15, 2011

• If it is a sprain then there is tolerable pain and if it is a break then it is unbearable pain, if it is swollen they can't take an x-ray and will make you wait so I suggest Ice for the swelling and an ANTI INFLAMMATORY for the the swelling.
    MexTexmom2

Answer by MexTexmom2 at 2:53 PM on May. 15, 2011

• its my toes so they cant do anything for it. The pain is tolerable as long as I dont walk on it. I'm trying to keep it elevated and iced...
    SabrenaLeigh

Comment by SabrenaLeigh (original poster) at 3:08 PM on May. 15, 2011

• they'd just tape them together anyway

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:15 PM on May. 15, 2011

• Not to much to be done with broken toes... If it is still painful to walk in a few days after rest and ice I might consider make sure there is nothing in the foot fractured but again I think they would just say stay off of it..
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:17 PM on May. 15, 2011

• I have broken my pinky toe many times and there is nothing that they can really do besides tape them together and give you a costly prescription.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 3:54 PM on May. 15, 2011

• SPRAINS and broken bones can't be decided unless you get an X-ray
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 5:28 PM on May. 15, 2011

• There is no way to tell. Only way is to x ray unless the break is clearly visible. Usually when you break a toe you will bruise all the way down the foot. Not so much with a sprain and again as I read above all they do for that is tape the toes together unless the toe has a complete break and not just a hairline fracture. Ice is good keep the foot elevated higher than the heart and take tylenol or ibuprophen for the pain. Use crutches to help you walk if the pain is too much. Feel better soon.
    DDWay

Answer by DDWay at 11:46 PM on May. 15, 2011