Sell the antique dinning set or no?

We have found ourselves expecting our second child....and have such a little amount of space for two kids in the condo we own. One of the biggest spaces wasters/blessings we have is a 4 pc dinning set my husbands uncle bought us for our wedding from a friend on his. When we saw it I FELL IN LOVE but neglected to think about the fact that it's not exactly space or kid friendly. The table is big- which is great for when I have guests/family over with 6 chairs, we have the buffert server, the china cabinet and what I call my "tea service." Every piece has its purpose and stores something our small kitchen cant.......but again it takes up so much space int he lvingroom/dinning room area and the table itself must always be covered with the mat and a table cloth which takes away from its look.

Anyway... Ive been toying with the idea of selling it sadly and buying with that money a normal kitchen table and taking the hatch my mom's been wanting to get rid of for the extra storage we need. But I want some advice on this..... I'd feel terrible as it was a wedding gift but ever since my first was born I knew it wasnt the best decision...

stephanieplante

Asked by stephanieplante at 2:52 PM on May. 15, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I would save it & store it at someones home like your Moms. You may not stay where you live forever. Especially if you have more kids. You just cannot get quality furniture like they used to make anymore.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:23 PM on May. 15, 2011

• I think you would find you will get way less for it that you feel it is worth. You are better off trying to store it. Or consider looking into a heavy custom cut glass topped for it instead of using the table clothes...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:33 PM on May. 15, 2011

• I would try and store it and maybe find a cheap table set on craigslist or something
    PrincessPeach06

Answer by PrincessPeach06 at 4:33 PM on May. 15, 2011

• We're doing the same thing. My aunt and uncle gave us their antique table and chairs, buffet, and bed frame as our wedding gift. We're buying our first house and the sellers were willing to throw in their dining and living room sets (they don't want to move them and we agreed not to lower our offer after the inspection). I felt bad about selling the furniture but we have to do what is best for our family. If you love the piece and have a free place to store it then I would keep it. Otherwise, sell it to someone who will take good care of it.
    karischub

Answer by karischub at 6:53 PM on May. 15, 2011

• Id keep it. I would hate for you to sell it and then regret it.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 7:25 PM on May. 15, 2011

• my mom only has an apartment...so nowhere else it could go really. if we do decide to sell it my friends dad does antiques for a living so i know #1 I'd get what I deserve and #2 it'd be well taken care of
    stephanieplante

Comment by stephanieplante (original poster) at 8:02 PM on May. 15, 2011

• Dang all you people getting furnature for wedding gifts. I'm jellous we didn't get that type of stuff. I am an old softy when it comes to that sort of stuff. I can't get rid of it either. I would say consider what ur future will bring. If you plan to move later in life hang on to it. If not get rid of it. I live in a house where my grandmother stored furnature and I'm not allowed to get rid of it yet. It is a nightmare to deal with everyday.
    Kimkh

Answer by Kimkh at 12:23 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I'd keep it
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 10:08 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I would keep it.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 1:10 PM on May. 18, 2011

• keep
    chiquis

Answer by chiquis at 8:37 PM on May. 18, 2011