Moms who used Pull-Ups...how did you go about potty training?

How long did it take to get your child day-trained? I'm trying to work with my 3 year old, and am not sure how to go about it. I put her on the potty a couple of times per day, but by that time she is already wet. I tell her that when she has to go to the potty, to tell me and we'll go, but it's not sinking in. I'm in no hurry, but I'd like to at at least get the process started.

Any advice? Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:00 PM on May. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• Not sure I didn't use pullups I used undies only. My oldest was potty trained in 1 month by 19 months old. My youngest I started at 13 months old and was nearly potty trained at 16 months old, but she got really sick with rotavirus so she ended up throwing up for 3 days and diarhea for 3 weeks and when they have that it is very hard to train so we stopped until the diarhea went away and then waited to start back up to make sure she was feeling better. By the time we finally was abble to start back up she was 19.5 months old. She was potty trained by 21 months old.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 3:06 PM on May. 15, 2011

• I just gave her lots of drinks(salty snacks help them drink lots he he ), and had her go every 15 mins, weather she thought she had to or not. It took 2 days! I made sure to make a big deal when she went.
    Night time training happend on its own, 2 weeks later, she would wake up dry for a week then I knew she was night trained! She was 2 1/2
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 3:06 PM on May. 15, 2011

• I only used pull-ups at night. I did the 3 day potty training method on my son when he was 2 and 1/2 and it worked for us.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 3:08 PM on May. 15, 2011

• oh and I consider them potty trained when they need no help going at all...so ignore the stories of those who say their one year old is trained, if you have to help them pull their pants on and off and remind them etc, then its you doing it, not them.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 3:08 PM on May. 15, 2011

• regular they think is a pamper diaper
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 3:31 PM on May. 15, 2011

• it's the same as a diaper use training underwear w plastic pants during the day all mine were completly trained within a week cuz then they can tell better the diff between wet and dry
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 3:55 PM on May. 15, 2011

• In my experience I could only use pull ups at night time. They were too much like a diaper and my oldest just didn't get it. I put her in her "big girl" panties during the day and just made sure to ask her often if she needed to go potty and put her on the potty every hour. She caught on quick. She is now 3 and is fully potty trained. I still use pull ups at night just in case, but she does pretty well.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 4:05 PM on May. 15, 2011

• I think pull ups are confusing for a child.
    You def. need to put her on pretty often... try to notice when she is most likely to pee or poop and do it then.
    I did the naked and or just panties thing and it worked pretty well. Once she got the concept then she would tell me when she needed to go even if she had diapers. Actually my dd was a trip, she was only toilet trained OUT SIDE the house.... in the store etc. she would tell me when she needed to go but at home... wet diapers. So I did what I did with her ds... no pamper.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 9:49 PM on May. 15, 2011