I'm shocked when people ask me?..no bashing

I have a 17m old daughter and people ask me if she is still on formula? I'm always shocked by that question because i wouldnt think a 17m old would be on formula still she is on 2percent milk.Idk why people ask me that question maybe u can tell me? thank u!

Juliannamommie

Asked by Juliannamommie at 9:45 AM on Dec. 6, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• They probably ask because they have know kiddos who were still getting formula at that age - of which there are lots.

I'm just as surprised when people ask me when I weaned my 14 month old off of breastfeeding - she's not weaning any time soon.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 10:05 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• Some people just don't have any baby knowledge. I know my son if the first baby that I held, fed, ect... so I wouldn't have know that is a silly question 8 months ago. I would have probably asked that too! LOL. Now that I have a son... I know.
    Another option is that nowadays women breastfeed toddlers. Some people may think that if a 2 year old is breastfed, why can't another 2 year old be formula fed?
    NewArrival

Answer by NewArrival at 10:07 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• Maybe because they see the baby with the bottle? Not sure, agree with previous post- not all people understand baby's & parentling...Trust me you will be getting a lot of stupid questions from people regarding your child as they grow- LOL
    litstargazer

Answer by litstargazer at 11:35 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• They make a special formula for children aged 9-24 months as well. So perhaps people see that in the grocery store and assume that it is advised to use instead of doing whole milk at one year. I get asked why my 10 month old doesn't walk yet. I also used to get asked why my SS couldn't read when he was two, but he was so big he looked 4. Even at 4, most people don't expect children to be reading with any level of fluency.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 11:45 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• I can definitely help you with that one lol.... I had my son on formula up until he was 21 months old. He nursed till 13 months and my husband and I just made the decision to keep him on the formula. We still gave him baby food and table food but I felt like the formula was much healthier then cows milk. Im not sure if you know this but cows milk is very rich and can cause stomach problems in some babies. Normally a child can go on cows milk at 12 months old and allot of parents do that but I guess Im different. We actually just got him off the bottle three days ago and hes 23 months old. He would everything in the sippy for the longest time except milk and he would not drink cows milk cold, I had to warm it up but now hes doing just fine taking it cold and out of the sippy. I dont like to rush my son, he will self ween from things gradually.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 12:44 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• Continued... Right now Im trying to get him in his own bed lol so thats going to be a challenge. We were doing fine until he got pneumonia and then I had him sleep with us cause his fever would spike so high in the middle of the night and I got worried that I wouldn't know about it if he was in his crib. But dont be so shocked cause Im sure Im not the only mother who gave her child formula till they were almost two.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

• I'm not sure why people would ask this question. I thought being on formula that long is uncommon, but by the answers, I guess not.

My son will more than likely be on formula until he is 18 months old because he has feeding issues. He can't chew and still gags on 1st foods. We are waiting for a speech therapist. He has a nutritionist and she said there is no reason why a toddler can't be on formula until 18 months.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 6:35 PM on Dec. 8, 2008