Real Estate questions..lien?

Ok, I will try and make this short. My father is terminal with stage 4 lung cancer, he's been in ICU for the last month and is getting moved to a nursing home. My parents insurance will only pay for 100 days of care, after that a lien will be put on her house. My mom is convinced that she will loose her house. They've lived there for 35 years, its been paid off. They have worked hard on this house, put alot of blood, sweat and tears into this house. I do not want my mom to loose it. We are looking into a possible fundraiser to help pay for expenses so this doesn't happen. Is there anyone in real estate know what we can do so mom doesn't have a lien on her house or possibly loose it? My parents
worked so hard to take care of his house all these years, we can't loose it now!
Thanks in advance

aebrown

Asked by aebrown at 3:20 PM on May. 15, 2011 in Money & Work

• I have never heard of having to put a lien on a house as a form of payment (or promise of payment) for expenses over and above what insurance might pay.
    Anonymous

• I would look into a lawyer and talk to the aarp they will have suggestions as well as hospice care on a sliding scale.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 3:23 PM on May. 15, 2011

• Yes this is a VERY common occurance. She will not loose the home BUT she has to pay off the debt for the medical bills to keep it. This is why when people age & own their home, they should put it in their child/childs name with both names on the deed. You go to an Estate Planner for this. So in the vent that the parent needs long term health care, the state cannot take the home (put a lein) to pay for medical expenses. Instead, medicare will pay if the person has NO assets. This includes money/investments as well. As soon as you straighten out these current medical bills, you should see an Estate Planner & have your name put on all your Moms assets to prevent this from occuring again. GL.
    Anonymous

• WOW thank you. I will get on it!
    aebrown

Comment by aebrown (original poster) at 3:37 PM on May. 15, 2011

• You also might look up elder care attorneys in your yellow pages and ask for a free consultation. Most offer a complimentary first time consultation. Make sure their ad says elder care. You could try several.
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 3:44 PM on May. 15, 2011

• You definately need to seek legal advice...however my grandmother put her house in my mom's name for this very reason. Check with an atty....each state has their own laws. Good luck...I wish you well.
    joinTStoday

Answer by joinTStoday at 5:23 PM on May. 15, 2011

• How about a reverse mortgage?
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 6:08 PM on May. 15, 2011

• hmm, I don't agree with hiding assets to get medical care. Think about it, we all pay for medicare. Do you really want to be part of abusing it?
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 6:10 PM on May. 15, 2011

• By them putting a lien on the house doesn't mean that she will LOSE the house. It's their way of guaranteeing payment if she should sell the house. So if she sells it, they get paid before she does. When she dies, the estate would have to pay that lien or sell the house to satisfy the lien. They can't just out and out take her home from her though. I would definitely talk to an attorney though to see how to best protect her assets.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 6:14 PM on May. 15, 2011

• Yes, we will definately talk to an Estate Lawyer. Right, if it stays in my moms name whatever bills need to be paid, they can take it out of the sale of the house. Her house is worth like 4 to 500,000, but still, we are putting it in either a trust, or in one of us kids names. My mom also has life insurance I didn't know about. I was told that can help towards bills too. I was just very unclear on liens and that sort of thing. She is freaking out, , she is so stressed out! We have a couple of options. As for abusing medicare, until you have seen your father hooked up to life support and having tubes in and out of him. Watching him wither away, I would do ANYTHING to help him because you know what? He would do the same for me. So many people in So Cal abuse the system..seriously, you should see how many! I will look into the reverse mortgage too, that could be an option..Thank you for all the encouragment!
    aebrown

Comment by aebrown (original poster) at 11:32 PM on May. 15, 2011