would you

stay married to someone who lets his family disrespects you? who never speaks up for you and acts childish?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on Dec. 6, 2008 in Relationships

• i'm married and in the same situation... mother and sister both treat me like dirt they walked on.. (and i really don't know why) his mom used to love me... until i took her precious baby away. LOL but its bad.. his sister has never given me the time of day.. ever. she's always thought she was better than me.. i think its cause her and her mom didn't get along... and she loved me and she was jealous and it's just continued... but i stay with my husband.... he doesn't defend me. and i told him finally that if he doesn't start sticking up to me when his mother is saying degrading things to me... I WILL and neither one will like it. And he knows i'm serious so maybe just try that. BUt its really not worth leaving the man you love because of his family. If you need to just quit going to family things... or when you go give them a taste of their own medicine =)
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 10:00 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• No, but typically people are what they are. You know, a leopard doesn't change his spots...so to speak. If they're acting like this now, chances are, they acted like this before you were married. I think alot of people are so focused on getting married, they fail to see if they picked the right person, then complain about daily personality things later.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 10:16 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• Its fighting everyday because of it. Im so tired of it. I have told him that I will leave him if he doesnt speak up. We go to stores and he wants to buy something. I'll say we shouldnt be buying that and he'll throw a fit at me in the store like a kid. I called him a idiot yesterday and he flipped at me. he acts like one. I said you'll find one day when you come home all my stuff will be gone because i am loosing interest in him. he just turns me off with the fact he acts like a kid.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• Well, in defense of him.........I sure don't have any respect for someone that calls me names, such as you calling him idiot. And I certainly wouldn't come to the defense of the person doing so.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 11:54 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• He doesnt have respect for me when he lets his family bash me and what were doing with our child.
    Anonymous

• and never helps me out with our child. His answer is I work all day. so im suppose to do everything. Be sleep deprived and worn down so he can rest because he works. Well I go back to work in Jan so Im suppose to do that on top of everything else...:(
    Anonymous

• Sounds like your problem is with him.... and if he's telling his Mom that you're calling him an idiot and so such then i can understand why all of a sudden she doesn't like you. Every Mom wants her child to have someone that loves them and treats them right. My husband can suggest I'm making a bad choice or ask if it might work better one way but if he calls me an idiot or stupid I'm going to flip too. Defend yourself to them and I hope he does to you. No one should be talked to in a demeaning way and be expected to put up with it but stand up for yourself, never expect anyone else to do it for you but be nice as possible about it.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 12:45 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• Yes, why you ask, because when you marry, people are not purfect and vows mean something to me. Work with your spouse, let him know how you feel, talk with him, love him. Also, family can't always be controled, In-laws etc you have to stand up for yourself and let them know you will not be treated poorly (the trick is doing it in a calm respectful way) I am where you are, it wasn't until I stood up for myself that things started changing. Life is not perfect, niether is our spouses and our families, you have to set your own boundries and respectfully infource them.
    blackcat66

Answer by blackcat66 at 12:57 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• no i just starting calling him that recently. and his parents disrespect him to because they told me its there job to help take care of the baby they dont think there son can do it. there always putting him down because he isnt "rich" like them. and my dh does it to me just doesnt come out and call me dumb. im so stressed and tired and I dont need to go up to his family and be made to feel bad..
    Anonymous

• we tried counsling and even the therapist told him your wife comes first and that you need to start speaking up. it didnt work because he doesnt want to listen
    Anonymous