Would you...

Would you drive 4 hours out of town with a 5 1/2 month old baby?

My grandmother is not doing so well and I want her to meet her first and only great grandson, but i live in las vegas and see lives in chino, ca. I would fly but it cost too much for me right now. What would you do?

nikki9917

Asked by nikki9917 at 3:45 PM on May. 15, 2011 in Travel

• Yes. Personally, I would go as far as I needed to go (and did fly 4 hours with a 20 month old and a 3.5 yr old) to help with my grandmother.

If you can leave right after a feeding and go as far as you can until another feeding (or potty break for you) is needed.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 3:51 PM on May. 15, 2011

• I used to drive with my son all the time, and we lived 6 and a half hours from my mom. I drove from Tallahassee, FL to Boca Raton, FL every month starting at 2 months! He was a great little traveller. It's more the time of day. I used to leave the house at like 8 pm, his bedtime, and drive at night. I would take a nap as soon as my husband came home from work. Or if you can leave during the day, leave starting at a naptime, you would be surprised how well some of them will sleep in the car. Just make sure that you go to the bathroom before you leave!

Hope that your Grandmother gets to feeling better!
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 3:55 PM on May. 15, 2011

• Yes, of couse I would. I took my 5 month old daught on a 6 hour trip to Californa when my fiances grandmother was very much ill. And she was still breastfeeding. It will take longer if you are traveling with a new born to reach your destination but it is worth it. Just some helpfull hints. Pack all your milk, bottles, diapers and necesstives to the maximum capacity and knwo ahead of time where the rest stops are at. And it might be easier to travel at night if your baby is sleeping most of the time at night. Make sure you keep the baby in the car seat the whole ride over there and make sure she is comfortably dressed
    styhmMommy

Answer by styhmMommy at 3:55 PM on May. 15, 2011

• Yes I would. Pack what you'll need for the drive styhmMommy has the right idea.
    myree85

Answer by myree85 at 4:08 PM on May. 15, 2011

• yes I would
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 4:16 PM on May. 15, 2011

• Without a doubt.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 4:25 PM on May. 15, 2011

• Yes, I did often when my two eldest kids were babies. Now I hate road trips and even to drive the 4 hours to my great grandmother's old home is something I don't do - I don't even like being in the car that long anymore but I go at least twice a year to make sure the house is being cared for by the caretaker (although my aunt and uncle will be moving up there in a few months) and I also go up to visit the graves of my great grandparents and grandparents.
    anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 4:35 PM on May. 15, 2011

• Absolutely. Your grandmother will be so thankful.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 4:42 PM on May. 15, 2011

• Yes! Your grandmother will appreciate it and with a little planning it won't be too tough. We travel all the time with our kids. The youngest will be 2 next month, but we've traveled with him since he was a week old. He's an awesome little traveler. We lived in England when he was born and we took a week's family vacation to Cornwall when he was a week old b/c our oldest had just graduated high school and would be leaving back to the States the following month for college. We wanted one last family vacation with the whole family. The drive was over 8 hours and both kids (the baby and our 3 1/2 yr old) did great!
    travellingmom20

Answer by travellingmom20 at 4:15 PM on May. 17, 2011

• In this situation, yes I would take the trip, maybe you can see if someone will join you for the ride in case you need any help!
    Shellbell001

Answer by Shellbell001 at 9:53 PM on May. 19, 2011