What do you do? please help!

my 3 year old keeps peeing in his pants and pooping we know that he has nothing medically wrong with him but he just wont go to the potty in the potty all of the time, I'm at my wits end i have tried  sitting him on the potty backwards, i have tried standing in there with him, sitting him in timeout when he just pees, im just not sure what to do about it....any ideas?

i just caught him peeing in my dear husband's shoes its the first time that he has done this...

momy_lynn_16

Asked by momy_lynn_16 at 4:23 PM on May. 15, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Don't make it a battle of wills, the kid will win every time. Bowels are the only thing kids know they have 100% control over. Don't punish for accidents, it only enforces that it is something that pushes your buttons
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 4:28 PM on May. 15, 2011

• Put him back in diapers for 6 months and try again?
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 4:36 PM on May. 15, 2011

• My ds is only 1 so we haven't reached this point yet but my MIL told me that the easiest way to teach a boy is to have them pee out the back door lol. She has potty trained three boys so I believe her lol. After they master that she says it is pretty easy to adjust them to the potty! Good luck mama!!
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 4:26 PM on May. 15, 2011

• I made it fun for my son and put cheerios in the toilet and told him aim and shoot lol he even started to poop in the toilet on his own after that
    SMITxsM2

Answer by SMITxsM2 at 4:28 PM on May. 15, 2011

• Praise him when he goes potty (make a huge big deal of it) and give very little attention to when he doesn't make it (other than cleaning him up). When my daughter first started I used small rewards to get her to poop in the potty (1 gummy bear for success) as she got better I made her wait longer for the reward, 2 days of pooping only in the potty, then 3 days, 4 days.....up to 1 week. When she made it a week, I took away the physical reward and rely solely on praise.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 6:18 PM on May. 15, 2011

• My ex hubby potty trained our son by just putting him in shorts with no underwear or pull ups. When he went in the potty he got to eat a cookie or do something fun. When he didn't even try to make it to the potty he toldhim he wasn't mad but disappointed. It worked!
    tattooedmama126

Answer by tattooedmama126 at 6:35 PM on May. 15, 2011

• i will try these things and see it they work than you every one and if you think of anything else please let me know.

momy_lynn_16

Comment by momy_lynn_16 (original poster) at 2:10 AM on May. 16, 2011

• don't buy pull-ups they are a waste of money and they are just like diapers--be consistent and keep reminding him(every half hour if needed) and praise him when he does go in the potty---my sons both learned by sitting down at first and then mastered standing later on. getting them trained to poop in the toilet takes longer then peeing. I would not put him back in diapers that is like taking a step backward. as far as peeing in his dads shoes that would get a swat on the bottom and told that is not where he is to go
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 6:47 PM on May. 21, 2011