Do people today just assume it's normal for a president to serve both terms?

When you look at it historically, getting the 2nd term is the exception, not the rule. It just happens that in the previous 30 years, we've seen a quarter of the ones who've ever done it. Is it a generational thing, where people who have grown up with mainly 2 term presidents just resign themselves to that being how it works, 4 years really = 8?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 4:30 PM on May. 15, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I try NOT to assume, because there is obviously just as much chance that they won't as there is that they will... But of the 3 presidents (other than Obama) whom I actually remember being in office, at least 2 of them didn't deserve a second term, yet they got it... Hell, as far as I can see Bush Jr didn't deserve a first, he just knew the right people to pay off...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:37 PM on May. 15, 2011

• Mostly just the younger ones who do not realize Clinton or Bush were NOT the first presidents.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 4:38 PM on May. 15, 2011

• I think some voters go for name recognition when they vote instead of doing the research that should go into voting.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 4:41 PM on May. 15, 2011

• I wonder if cookie cutter voting has anything to do with it as well...
    Anonymous

• No.....its never a good idea to ASSUME anything. I can't imagine anyone assuming that Presidents automatically serve two terms. Even the "younger ones".LOL. I don't know about the "younger ones" of today but when I was in high school we studied politics, all presidents, the workings of the Governments,etc. I bet they still study those things now.But,,I sometimes think that the "younger ones' fall asleep in classes. English ( spelling and grammar) classes in particular are slept through. :-)

minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 4:46 PM on May. 15, 2011

• I raised my boys to never assume anything especially politics. Regardless of whether it's the Mayor or President! Also, don't rule anyone out regardless of heresay, do the research and make your own conclusions.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 5:14 PM on May. 15, 2011

• I was raised in a very government dependent Democratic family in a very Democratic city and state, and when I registered to vote at age 18, and in my naivete, I registered as a Democrat...I didn't know any better. Then as the 1988 presidential elections rolled around, I was told by my family repeatedly that I was to "vote for the Irishman" or the Democratic candidate.

At that point I was working for a very well known Republican political family as a Nanny, and my party loyalties quickly switched to their favor! :o) I re-registered as a Republican after the '88 election, and switched to Independent after the '08 election.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:27 PM on May. 15, 2011

• More than expecting a president to serve two terms, I think most people expect a first term president to seek their political party's support to be placed on the election ballot for a possible second term.
    CoffeeWriter

Answer by CoffeeWriter at 6:01 PM on May. 15, 2011

• That's ridiculous. Maybe *gasp* people voted for them!

WTF are you babbling about, anonotroll?
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 7:03 PM on May. 15, 2011

• I think some people definitely assume that a President will serve two terms. I don't really get the feeling that the average American is very politically aware. Some of the posters here don't even really know how government works. They just assume that if the President wants it a certain way, it will be so. If it weren't so pathetic, it might actually be entertaining.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:34 PM on May. 15, 2011