Is this racism?

It just seems like the truth to me. I did not know only blacks got food stamps..

DAVID GREGORY, HOST: What, what about jobs? Jobless rate now at 9 percent. You gave a speech on Friday in Georgia, and you said the following about this president:

(Videotape)

NEWT GINGRICH: You want to be a country that creates food stamps, in which case frankly Obama's is an enormous success. The most successful food stamp president in American history. Or do you want to be a country that creates paychecks?

(End videotape)

GREGORY: First of all, you gave a speech in Georgia with language a lot of people think could be coded racially-tinged language, calling the president, the first black president, a food stamp president.

GINGRICH: Oh, come on, David.

GREGORY: What did you mean? What was the point?

REP. GINGRICH: That's, that's bizarre. That--this kind of automatic reference to racism, this is the president of the United States. The president of the United States has to be held accountable. Now, the idea that--and what I said is factually true. Forty-seven million Americans are on food stamps. One out of every six Americans is on food stamps. And to hide behind the charge of racism? I have--I have never said anything about President Obama which is racist.

http://nation.foxnews.com/newt-gingrich/2011/05/15/david-gregory-accuses-gingrich-racism-calling-obama-food-stamp-president

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 4:45 PM on May. 15, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Considering the majority of FS recipients are white...
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:49 PM on May. 15, 2011

• Nope, not racist. People of all races are on food stamps; his point was that under Obama, we have lots of people on food stamps. Nothing racist about that!

In fact, I'd say that the people who THINK that was a "racially-tinged" comment are more racist because THEY are the ones automatically linking food stamps and black people! Now that is racism.
    SAHM_USAF

Answer by SAHM_USAF at 4:55 PM on May. 15, 2011

• Gingrich is an ass... Why does anyone ever pay even half attention to the crap he spews!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:56 PM on May. 15, 2011

Answer by SabrinaMBowen

So you think it was racism, then?
    Carpy

Comment by Carpy (original poster) at 5:01 PM on May. 15, 2011

• I am not seeing it.  When you have to reach for something that is a stereotype to begin with to make your argument it loses value. 

There was nothing racially toned in what was shown in that clip.

Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 5:01 PM on May. 15, 2011

• I think that he did not intend to be racist and some idiot somewhere wanted to digress from the actual topic and create a non-issue. Besides, as the first Answer states, the majority of food stamp recipients are white.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 5:06 PM on May. 15, 2011

• Hmmmm, didn't see Newt say anything about any race in there. But Dick Gregory made sure to mention that Obama is black.

Nah, it's not racist statements by Newt. By Gregory is up for debate, but wait, isn't he black? Therefore it can't be a racist comment, can it?
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 5:08 PM on May. 15, 2011

• Nope. Not racism. Just a fact.

"When her son was almost 2, Ann returned to college. Money was tight. She collected food stamps and relied on her parents to help take care of young Barack."
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:20 PM on May. 15, 2011

• Gingrich is an idiot.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 5:25 PM on May. 15, 2011

• Well all I had to do was read da first line.and no not only black people get food stamps...cuz im mexican nd I get foodstamps and I have a friend dats white and she got foodstamps but my husbands parents dont got doodstamps and he black...
    LARRYSWiiFE

Answer by LARRYSWiiFE at 5:28 PM on May. 15, 2011