"Debug Assertion Failed" error on newly-bought Windows XP/2000 software (Carmen Sandiego USA) running on Vista

I recently bought the old, Windows 2000/XP version of "Where in the USA is Carmen Sandiego?" from a third-party seller on Amazon. I had no problems installing it on my old laptop (which runs Windows Vista) but when I tried to run the game, I immediately got this error message:

[Title]
Microsoft Visual C++ Debug Library
[error text]
Debug Assertion failed!
Program: ...any\Where in the USA is Carmen Sandiego for schools\CSUSA.exe
File: fprintf.c
Line: 56

Expression: str !=NULL

For information on how your program can cause an assertion failure, see the Visual C++ documentation on asserts.

(Press Retry to debug the application)

[options: Abort, Retry, or Ignore]

Abort obviously doesn't help, and Retry or Ignore causes me to get the generic error message "CSUSA.exe has stopped working: A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

Can I fix this? Is it an error caused by running XP/2000 software on a Vista machine, or is it faulty software? Please help me if you can!

SAHM_USAF

Asked by SAHM_USAF at 4:45 PM on May. 15, 2011 in Technology

• I would take it to some one who knows about this, I would not risk it. GL
    booger14

Answer by booger14 at 11:43 AM on May. 17, 2011

• I was hoping to find someone here who would know :P Thanks though!
    SAHM_USAF

Comment by SAHM_USAF (original poster) at 4:27 PM on May. 17, 2011

• sounds like OS incompatibility, if it's only recommended to run on 2000 or XP and not on Vista
    filmom2ethan

Answer by filmom2ethan at 2:59 PM on May. 18, 2011