How long should i let my daughter read at a time?

She is 12 and will easily read for a straight 8 hrs if i let her! She has bipolar and has been struggling with meds and she has adhd. So i am extremely glad she is loving to read.The house is also extremely calm when she is occupied(if you know what i mean). So calm that i have enjoyed my 3 this weekend immensely! However i just not sure if it's good to let her read that much?

harris4

Asked by harris4 at 5:02 PM on May. 15, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Thats great she loves to read so much. But that means she's also sitting a lot. I'd limit it to the evenings when everyone is sitting down after dinner. That way during the day she can get out and play and be more active and everyone enjoys quiet time at night.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 5:05 PM on May. 15, 2011

• Let her read till she's tired of it. Its not bad and it will go in spurts.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 5:04 PM on May. 15, 2011

• my 12 yr old reads at night, after bedtime. Sometimes, I don't know how late she stays up. She will also, read when grounded to her room. She enjoys reading and that's not a bad thing.
    I wouldn't worry about your daughter reading, as long, as she come to social at meals, ect.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 5:13 PM on May. 15, 2011

• I would let her read for as long as she wants to. The fact that she found something to keep her busy and calm at the same time probably won't happen often! You don't want to discourage her from reading either, it's a great thing...enjoy it!
    justme782

Answer by justme782 at 9:11 PM on May. 15, 2011

• let her read as long as she wants--my son reads anywhere from 20 minutes to 2 hours a day; that is good that she found something she enjoys doing--try not to discourage it..Some kids it is like pulling teeth to get them to read even 20 minutes in a day. Yes I do agree with getting her out and playing during the day but also if she wants to let her sit down and read for an hour and then go out and play for however long and then come back in and read some more; as long as she is helping out around the house as you expect I wouldn't be too concerned about her reading---it could be something alot worse
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 6:50 AM on May. 16, 2011